Ambon psychedelic frogfish - when was it last seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will have a few days diving in the bay of Ambon middle of October.

I was wondering....does anyone have insight as to when the psychedelic frogfish was last seen in the bay of Ambon?

I believe the Laha dive site on the northern side of the bay of Ambon is the best place to have a look for the pscychedlic frogfish?

Check out Dive into Ambons Facebook page. They were seen in Fall/Winter/Spring of 2016, with 3 different individuals seen. And it was seen again in fall of 2017.
I was there in Fall of 2015 for a crossing trip and specifically arrived a few days early hoping for a spotting but no luck. I had to just be pleased with the excellent other macro critters.
You have your timing right, now all you need is some luck!

...And that a competing dive shop isnt holding it hostage.

I've heard stories of shops following other shops to learn the location. Apparently those little creatures also like to hide in holes so they can be really hard to find. A guide told me of poking a mirror and light into every hole searching for it.

The Psychedelic Frogfish is one of those "holy grail" critters for macro photographers. When it was spotted in 2016 I had a Komodo trip booked but just couldn't manage to extend my trip, (dumbass me) I'm sure booking offices emails were blowing up with bookings.

I'm a big fan of psychedelics and frog fish so both together really entice me, and years ago when they first surged to the surface I was enamored and desired to see one. One day I will with luck and grace.

Both Maluku Divers and Dive Into Ambon reported seeing the psychedelic frogfish in 2016 and 2017. I was never lucky, us liveaboarders have got no hope of finding them! and the resorts guard the sighting locations very closely. so definitely stay with a resort if you want to see. Barb at Dive Into Ambon is lovely so i'd go with that option.

Just saw one in Ambon last week!
43004266_10217052761932381_7361799444011941888_o.jpg

Love to see one. I love frog fish in general but this one is on the to see list.
What dive operation did you dive with?

Great shot! Night dive at Ambon bay? Going there for a LOB in Nov. Would love some tips to get a glimpse of the mystical creature.

Was taken during the day. I think the best tip would be to find a guide who knows where one is located.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom