Ambon Dive Resorts/Operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status reports so far...

I heard back from Kaj who owns Dive Into Ambon. Sadly, DIA has been "hibernated" and as of now, there are no plans to bring it back. I am really sad to hear this. Kaj and Barb are good people and awesome hosts. F covid.

CritterJunkies responded that they were trying to be operational by September this year, but that is not going to happen. As of now they "...hope to be back in business sometime in 2023."

Brutal.
Thanks for posting this. Hope they can actually be in business for 2023. I think there is a demand for the 2022 season starting September/ October but hard to predict.

Good news with Spice Island Divers reply: "Thank you for your email. Yes, we will open in mid September. Please find the attached price list. If you have further questions let us know."

The 3 dives a day, all-inclusive prices are... Let's just say they are quite a bit beyond this high school teacher's comfort zone. Your mileage may vary.

I would ask around and go wherever Beni ( Bei Facebook anmelden ) works. He is a VERY good guide/spotter. I met him in January 2019 while diving with Blue Rose divers but he was freelance then diving now and then. I did with him only 4 dives out of my 6 diving days. By far the best guide/spotter I ever had. His only downside was that his English were limited, hence topside communications were very basic.
Blue Rose was an ok operator. Not high end but had clean basic rooms (with AC), shared bathrooms, breakfast and lunch included for divers, (dinner in nearby restaurants only). The basic problem was that everybody (including most of the customers!) there was smoking (a lot) all the time. Even during breakfast and lunch (on a shared table!) which was not good as I don't smoke. Also some local people including dive guides etc were having fun almost every night drinking (and of course smoking) but causing no other problems.
I haven't been to the other operators there to be able to compare. I think one of them nearby was very similar to Blue Rose and there used to be another one further away that was higher end/more expensive. Post Covid I have no idea what is going on, other than I see from Blue Rose's facebook page that they are still open.

Oh my, Blue Rose isn't tempting me. Shared bathrooms? Nope, not for me.
The smoking sounds pretty gross too.

Laha divepacker is also operating in Laha bay.
They are located at the left side of the harbour, right front of where the twilight zone dive site is.
Very close to Critter Junkies diveshop.
Laha divepacker doesn't have accommodation, only diveshop with cameraroom.
They offer 1 guide to 2 divers ratio, which sounds good especially if you are taking pictures.
I haven't been diving with them yet, but dived with companys owner Arya. She's great guide and was previously guiding at Critter Junkies.
Been diving 3 x Critter Junkies and once Maluku Divers which is now Spice Island Dive Resort.
I been staying in Patra guesthouse and few nights at Michael's homestay.
Patra is near to Divepacker, Critter Junkies and Blue Rose, but it's not very nice accommodation in my opinion. Michael's is nicer, but bit further away. I didn't stay at Maluku Divers ( now Spice Island) , but their cottages looked very nice.
Hopefully more better accommodations for tourist are built in Laha in the future.

Back
Top Bottom