Ambon Dive Resorts/Operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
We're booked on a late October Banda Sea trip departing from Ambon. I'd like to get in a few days diving there before our liveaboard. Checked with Spice Island Divers but they're booked up for that time. We went with Dive Into Ambon on one of our other trips, but I understand they've shut down. So we're looking for someone else to dive with. We've only got a couple of days, so convenience, i.e., close to the airport, on the bay, accommodations on site or close, are important. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Did you contact Dive Into Ambon? I had not heard they have pulled the plug yet, but if this is the case I will be plenty bummed. They are good people and I love what they had going.

I heard the same re Dive Into Ambon from Underwater Tribe just yesterday.

Well... It appears there are these three places operating in Ambon Bay: Spice Island Divers, Critter Junkies, and Blue Rose. At first glance Spice Island Divers looks like something I might try in October. There are decent rooms on the water, AC, hot water, and the dive boat is on site. Has anyone ever tried them? Of the other two? Thanks in advance.

How are you seeing Critter Junkies as open? Their web site will not let you book a dive so I was assuming they were out of business as well. Hoping not but…

How are you seeing Critter Junkies as open? Their web site will not let you book a dive so I was assuming they were out of business as well. Hoping not but…
I reserve the right to be very wrong... It makes sense that no one is open for diving in Ambon now. Spice Island has for sure posted they plan to be back in October, but let me send some emails and see what I can figure out.

I would ask around and go wherever Beni ( Bei Facebook anmelden ) works. He is a VERY good guide/spotter. I met him in January 2019 while diving with Blue Rose divers but he was freelance then diving now and then. I did with him only 4 dives out of my 6 diving days. By far the best guide/spotter I ever had. His only downside was that his English were limited, hence topside communications were very basic.
Blue Rose was an ok operator. Not high end but had clean basic rooms (with AC), shared bathrooms, breakfast and lunch included for divers, (dinner in nearby restaurants only). The basic problem was that everybody (including most of the customers!) there was smoking (a lot) all the time. Even during breakfast and lunch (on a shared table!) which was not good as I don't smoke. Also some local people including dive guides etc were having fun almost every night drinking (and of course smoking) but causing no other problems.
I haven't been to the other operators there to be able to compare. I think one of them nearby was very similar to Blue Rose and there used to be another one further away that was higher end/more expensive. Post Covid I have no idea what is going on, other than I see from Blue Rose's facebook page that they are still open.

Stayed at Spice Islands location when it was the previous operator (Maluku divers?). Nice spot, nice accommodation. Would go back.

Status reports so far...

I heard back from Kaj who owns Dive Into Ambon. Sadly, DIA has been "hibernated" and as of now, there are no plans to bring it back. I am really sad to hear this. Kaj and Barb are good people and awesome hosts. F covid.

CritterJunkies responded that they were trying to be operational by September this year, but that is not going to happen. As of now they "...hope to be back in business sometime in 2023."

Brutal.

Back
Top Bottom