Ambon Indonesia – Muck Diving Mandarin Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maluku Diving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ambon Indonesia, in Maluku has been named by many as one of the most beautiful diving destinations on the planet. Part of the legendary Spice Islands, many divers have travelled from far and wide to just to immerse themselves in the warm tropical waters and witness captivating marine treasures found under the surface.

Like all keen divers, you’d appreciate the marvels of marine life. Here in Ambon Bay, you’d find 783 species of underwater creatures, and just when you thought you’ve seen it all, you’d encounter another magnificent creature that just takes your breath away. This is what most divers experience when they’ve spot the Mandarin fish, the most beautiful fish in the world.

mandarin-1-300x68.jpg

Also known as Synchiropus Splendidus, this small and shy fish is a popular photographic subject due to its striking beauty and interesting habits.

Mandarin Fish in Brief

The Mandarin fish was named as such due to its beautiful colors that resemble the robes of a Chinese officer from the Imperial times. A mozaic of orange, green, purple and blue, this amazing creature is distinct in its color pattern, with orange wavy lines on a predominantly blue background. Sometimes called the psychedelic fish due to its bizarre display of colors, this small fish, which measures 1 to 2 inches in length, are highly reclusive, especially during the day but can be found darting in and out of sight.

Found predominantly in the Indo-Pacific region, the Mandarin fish, which lives in groups of fives, are known to be fussy and slow eaters; feeding on protozoan, small worms and crustaceans. It inhabits depths of 1 to 18 meters and the excitement of spotting it lies in its renowned evasiveness as they are reclusive during the day. They have a broad and flattened head with big outward set eyes, which are great for feeding and food hunting in the dim light.

If you’re planning to witness the beautiful Mandarin fish in its natural habitat, then come and join us and our professional dive guides at Maluku Diver in Ambon Indonesia. You’ll be sure to enjoy an exhilarating dive on your quest to see the most colorful and beautiful fish in the world.

The real question is: psycho frogfish? Still about?

#priorities :yeahbaby:

Yep. Saw several last month

I have been on a couple Mandarin fish dives and have heard from others. Everyone that I have talked to has said "it's interesting to do - once.". Basically you just kneel there and wait...and wait...and wait...for like 30 - 60 minutes or as long as you can stand it, and the Mandarin fish swim up BRIEFLY (like a couple seconds, if that) a few times and you're done.

I suppose if you're a dedicated photog it might be worth it.

Anyone else have a different experience?

- Bill

I have been on a couple Mandarin fish dives and have heard from others. Everyone that I have talked to has said "it's interesting to do - once.". Basically you just kneel there and wait...and wait...and wait...for like 30 - 60 minutes or as long as you can stand it, and the Mandarin fish swim up BRIEFLY (like a couple seconds, if that) a few times and you're done.

I suppose if you're a dedicated photog it might be worth it.

Anyone else have a different experience?

- Bill

I have seen a couple of madarinfish spawning during full moon in Disthi Scuba Housereef, near Menjangan, Bali around 6pm. They came out from their hard coral hideout in pair, the smaller male hovering above the bigger female up to the open water column about a foot above the coral. As soon as the female release the egg sack (like a string of clear mucus), the male release its sperms, they darting back into their hide out, leaving their egg sacks to float away in the water column. That was a fantastic experience.

Last edited:
Yep. Saw several last month
Good to know :) I was trying to get back for a visit in late June/early July (the only time I can get off work), but everyone said don't bother due to the weather, so it's maybe on the cards for next year. Last time I was there about 18 months ago, nada.

Regarding mandarin fish sightings, it's hit and miss. You can have them barely show up and just dart around and you're left wondering why you bothered. Other times you can get the full on mating ritual (pic below from Lembeh) and it's awesome :)

12642611_10153462832761896_4058292070359140189_n.jpg

Saw them last month in Moalboal and there were many (20 maybe more) doing the mating rituals on one patch of coral. Could see them as long as we wanted, after about 15 minutes I had enough. Didn't know it was that rare...

Good to know :) I was trying to get back for a visit in late June/early July (the only time I can get off work), but everyone said don't bother due to the weather, so it's maybe on the cards for next year. Last time I was there about 18 months ago nada.

View attachment 406320

There were at least 6 and two garding eggs so there will be more in the future. Good luck next year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom