Ambon - Blue Rose Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimi666

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am going to Ambon next Feb and would like to dive with Blue Rose Divers. Are they still operating there, cause they havent replied my e-mails? Has someone dived with them recently? How bout their rental scubagear, are they in ok condition? Their prices would be more suitable for my pocket than Maluku Divers prices.

I read one webpage that people´s been angry because BRD didn´t wanna go to muck sites. I love muck diving, thats why i wanna visit Ambon. Divers had to move to Maluku Divers, which is closer to muck sites.

So if i have to choose Maluku Divers, has anyone stayed with their alternative accommodation (Michaels or Syifa homestays)? Alternative accommodation would cut the cost a bit. Are they close to MD and do they have restaurants within walking distance?

Thanks for help!

Kimi

Luko (you can PM him) has positive experience with BRD.
Similar with you, they did not reply my e-mail. Later, when I met them in Deep Indonesia they mentioned about their regular problem with internet in their area.
I then stayed with MD - excelent reply. Initially, I took their alternative offer but last minute they told me one of their guess canceled their trip and they offered the room with special rate.
And I have to say their room is very nice.
However, I manage to check their alt. accomodation, seem not bad from outside.

Cheers

Been 2 years, but spent 2-3 weeks with BRD and we did lots of muck diving, as that's what everyone wanted. They were quite accommodating. They have great, fast, boats too, so trips quite short timewise.
Communication can be a bitch in that area, as with much of that part of the world.

Try Google search for Jovin Lim in Singapore. She's been there a couple of times, has posted trip report, etc.

Maluku Divers is outstanding, been there twice, although never stayed in their alternative accommodation. I would guess it is close as MD is located practically right in "town"...its not as if they are in a remote location miles away from anything else.

Thanks people! Irien reply me yesterday good, good! But other problem arrived. Been trying to buy Lion Air webticket Denpasar-Ambon. I probably cant buy with my Finnish credit card, great. This arrives `Sorry. We were unable to get an authorization for your payment´ after i put my ccard details. Would like to get ticket before im in Indonesia.

Thanks Wisnu and Kilili: Jovin and Luko has great reports about Ambon!

Seems like I've become an "ambassador" for BRD :p

Well, I just got back from Ambon, diving with BRD again. This was my 5th trip there and am already thinking of going back :wink:

I'm glad that Irien has responded to you guys. My advice is to book in advance and let Irien knows what kind of diving you're looking for. Usually, I'd prepare a rough itinerary (# dives/day, kind of diving) and emailed her. There are 2 guides, Robert & Frankie. Robert is the "muck" guy while Frankie only likes to dive the Southern reefs. If you wants to dive mainly muck, ask Irien to arrange for Robert to be your guide. BRD has got 3 boats and they'll usually take different groups on different boats. If you get lucky, you'll have the whole boat to yourself. Note: Robert said that he's going to be away for a month next Feb so hopefully your trip does not fall in the period when he's absent.
Kimi: Hope you've gotten your Lion Air tickets sorted out ... let me know if you're having problem. I know a local travel agent that might be able to help.

A little bit more about the diving ... I noticed that the critters are different each time when I was there. Ambon never fails to surprise!! There are an abundance of frogfishes and cuttlefishes laying eggs in Sept (cooler months). More xeno crabs/nudibranchs in Feb. Ambon scorpion fishes start appearing on my last trip. Even the Rhinophias are different every time. So, Dive in and be critters-awe!!!

Happy bubbles, Jovin-

Welcome back Ambassador Jovin. :p

Ambon is definitely worth the trip. The muck is definitely mucky but the critters rival Lembeh in many respects.

Has anyone been to Ambon and dived with BRD recently? I'm planning to go in Dec. It's been 3 years since I was last day and I 2nd Robert as one of the best and most enthusiastic DMs for muck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom