1 week Ambon Oct 2020 with whom to go? Critter Junkies, Blue Rose or Dive Into Ambon?

Ambon Oct 2020: Critter Junkies, Ambon Blue Rose Divers or Dive Into Ambon?

• Critter Junkies

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Ambon Blue Rose Divers

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Dive Into Ambon

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Spice Island Divers (ex-Maluku Divers)

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spent a week in late Sept/early Oct diving with DIA. Kaj was great. He even suggested if we wanted to do 2 extra dives the morning we were departing for our Banda (Ambon to Maumere) liveaboard, he could drop us and our baggage directly to the boat and coordinate with the cruise director directly. We did just that and it was absolutely amazing stepping onto the liveaboard just surfacing from a dive. :)

Accommodations were very comfortable and clean. AC, WiFi. I arrived a day or two after the earthquake so didn’t get to use the pool as there was a lot going on and they were doing a lot of repairs. One thing to think about are the accommodations you will have with the shop you choose to dive with.

One word of caution after having done the (very) open water crossing for Banda...I highly suggest you reconsider the wooden boats. We were on a steel hull in early October for 12 days. There were 6-7 feet swells and we were getting pounded but were still able to make the crossing. It was extremely rough the first 2 days. We missed 2 dives one morning because it took us way longer to do the overnight crossing between 2 locations. We later made up the dives in another way but I know someone on the Ambai (wooden) who sailed a day or 2 before us and they had to turn around to return to Ambon and couldn’t do the crossing at all. It was a huge bummer for them. Other boats already out there had issues with the conditions and were sitting ducks or had to alter their plans significantly with 9 ft swells. We were also able to make it out to other more remote islands that are very exposed and had the dive sites all to ourselves.

You’re doing a return trip to Ambon so the actual open water crossing in nautical miles isn’t as great as the Ambon to Maumere itinerary but a lot more mileage and open ocean is covered compared to other liveaboards in Indonesia such as Komodo and Raja Ampat. It is very exposed so I would think twice. @Dan has done Banda once before in a wooden boat and he recently had to return in a steel hull as wooden boats are not ideal. Possible, but more susceptible to weather issues/surface conditions, etc., and not as stable, etc.

I just spent a week in late Sept/early Oct diving with DIA. Kaj was great. He even suggested if we wanted to do 2 extra dives the morning we were departing for our Banda (Ambon to Maumere) liveaboard, he could drop us and our baggage directly to the boat and coordinate with the cruise director directly. We did just that and it was absolutely amazing stepping onto the liveaboard just surfacing from a dive. :)

Accommodations were very comfortable and clean. AC, WiFi. I arrived a day or two after the earthquake so didn’t get to use the pool as there was a lot going on and they were doing a lot of repairs.

One word of caution after having done the (very) open water crossing for Banda...I highly suggest you reconsider the wooden boats. We were on a steel hull in early October for 12 days. There were 6-7 feet swells and we were getting pounded but were still able to make the crossing. It was extremely rough the first 2 days. We missed 2 dives one morning because it took us way longer to do the overnight crossing between 2 locations. We later made up the dives in another way but I know someone on the Ambai (wooden) who sailed a day or 2 before us and they had to turn around to return to Ambon and couldn’t do the crossing at all. It was a huge bummer for them. Other boats already out there had issues with the conditions and were sitting ducks or had to alter their plans significantly. We were also able to make it out to other more remote islands that are very exposed and had the dive sites all to ourselves.

You’re doing a return trip to Ambon so the actual open water crossing in nautical miles isn’t as great as the Ambon to Maumere itinerary but a lot more mileage and open ocean is covered compared to other liveaboards in Indonesia such as Komodo and Raja Ampat. It is very exposed so I would think twice. @Dan has done Banda once before in a wooden boat and he recently had to return in a steel hull as wooden boats are not ideal. Possible, but more susceptible to weather issues/surface conditions, etc., and not as stable, etc.

Yep. No more phinisi boat in Banda Sea crossing for me.

Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

I have done 2 Banda Sea crossings (Maumere - Ambon):
October 3-16 2019 with the very small wooden phinisi Tidak Apa'Pa.
September 27 - October 8 2019 with the big wooden schooner Mutiara Laut.
The weather was bad this year, but the Mutiara Laut had no problem handling it - there was just 2-3 dive sites that we could not dive...but that was not because of the boat...rather the conditions were too bad for diving.
But after this year's experience I would not again go on a small wooden phinisi for the Maumere - Ambon crossing like I did in 2018.
Wooden schooners I deem okay, if they are built European style (beam, length, draft, secure hatches and doorways, etc.) - that style was built for the North Sea (Europe) and coastal shipping on the Atlantic Coast of North America.
What I have heard and what I deem myself is that the MY Emperor Raja Laut is quite a seaworthy vessel.
If the weather will be that bad that we cannot sail down to Nil Desperandum and Pulau Manuk or even just Pulau Manuk, then I believe the weather would already be way too bad to have people diving those dive sites in the first place.
But thanks for mentioning...it is very approriate thought. Since this Sept-Oct Banda Sea crossing I have myself warned friends about doing the crossing on small, wooden phinisis.

As for diving in Ambon....so far it looks 4-0-0-0 in favour of Dive Into Ambon...4 votes for Dive Into Ambon...and no votes for Critter Junkies, Ambon Blue Rose Divers and Spice Island Divers (ex-Maluku Divers).
This is definitely interesting! I will look more into Dive Into Ambon! Thanks! :)

Just to give you some info about Ambon Blue Rose. I stayed there for 1 week last January.

Accommodation was basic, but clean and with an AC. Lunch and breakfast are included in the price. Lunch was nice local food, but breakfast could be better (usually just fried bananas, pancakes, bread with butter and jam or similar).
As for diving it is a small local operator. They mostly dive Laha and the nearby sites, although their boat can easily cross to the east side of the bay (we did this twice in one week). Usually they do 2 morning dives and whoever wants does a 3rd afternoon and/or a night dive.
Most of the days we were 4-5 divers and usually we had 2 guides that seem to be working full time for Blue Rose. Occasionally there was a part time guy joining us (called Benito Travis) who was exceptional - he had the amazing ability to keep each and every one of us busy at all time. He would nonstop just go around checking on us and looking for new things. An example: occasionally I would finish my tank first and leave the group to do my SS and ascent. He would follow me to SS to make sure I was ok while he would bring with him rocks with nudies or so to SS depth to keep me and my camera busy even during SS! Afterwards he would go back to the rest of the group!!!
His only downside is that he doesn't speak very good English so topside he was quiet and not speaking very much (which can be good occasionally). From some recent posts in his facebook profile it seems that now he is with critter junkies.
The usual resident guides in Blue Rose were not so enthusiastic. It was my first time doing only macro hence for me practically everything was new and exciting but they seemed only interested to very special things.
Something I didn't particularly like was that after dinner several guys (usually including the staff) would gather and consume hard alcohol etc to large amounts. They wouldn't cause any problems but it wasn't nice to have this happening practically every night.
Overall I was quite satisfied considering the price (I am usually on low budget) although I would prefer to have Benito all the time.

From discussions I had with friends etc Critter Junkies seems to be very similar operator, but I think they don't have accommodation on site (although a couple of cheap accommodation options are just across the street). Also I think their boat is smaller hence they don't go to the east side of the bay.

Both Blue Rose and Critter Junkies are very near each other (5 mins walk or less). The area is quite clean and tidy (for Indonesian standards). There are few places to have dinner (as dinner is not served in Blue Rose) - the best being about 5 minutes walk along the street southwards direction.

If I was to dive Ambon again, I would look for Benito and just follow him :) and I wouldn't mind using Blue Rose again.

From the descriptions I read DIA seems to be at least one class higher and of course with a higher price tag. If cost is not an issue DIA seems to be the best option, but for lower budget Blue Rose (and probably Critter Junkies) are very doable too. You will dive more or less the same sites anyway...

Warning: My review might feel a bit negative but I did enjoy my stay and I would happily go back again. It is just my character that I am generally not enthusiastic about describing good/nice things. I highlight negatives but not so the positives.

All the best

I just got back from Banda Neira and Ambon. Did 10 days with Blue Motion and then 2 with Critter Junkies in Ambon. I loved Banda Neira. Such an amazing little island. Blue Motion was superb. The manager was very flexible about moving me to different boats to go where I wanted. All the Indonesian guides were great, friendly guys. Very efficient, smooth operation. Hammerheads.
No complaints about Critter Junkies. They might be under different management, as their current (French) manager seems very competent. I did 9 dives, mostly with a local guide, Benny, who I thought was very good. I had him to myself or had one other diver. The shop has the best location, right on Laha. It gave us a lot of flexibility and we were able to avoid the liveaboard and DIA divers who came in. They're replacing their bigger boat so were only diving local sites but I imagine they'll be doing day trips by this time next year. I think it's a valid, cheaper option. I'm not huge into macro though so I'm pretty easy to please. And the dive sites are just awesome. For the last night dive we started around the corner at the Twilight Zone then worked our way around back to Laha for a 75 minute 2for1. 10(?) frogfish, including juves, flamboyant, 2 coconut octos, another octo, pipefish, numerous nudis, shrimp, and crabs, and more. During the day we saw 3-4 rhinopia, no psychedelic frogfish but they had been seeing one previously. Check their FB page for more. I stayed at the Crecia guesthouse, rooms were fine, the woman running it was very helpful, kitchen stayed open late so I was able to eat after my night dives, 10k for an ojek to the dive shop.

Thanks, Benjamin - it is super to hear your feedback both on Blue Motion, Critter Junkies and the Crecia Guest House :-D
I am a big fan of walking - how far walking distance do you estimate the Crecia Guest House is from Critter Junkies?

About a 20 minute walk (1.5km), I only walked it once. Through a residential area, lots of smiles and hellos from the locals.

I would second the comments from Benjamin after just coming back from almost identical itinerary. Bluemotion were pretty much the only operators while I was there and accommodation and boat were excellent. Dive sites mainly all walls, outstanding coral and smaller fish. Didn’t see much of any larger fish schools jacks,etc, but was told there’s a lot of fishing in the area. Guides were friendly and tried hard. Banda Neira and surrounding islands were beautiful. If you have the time you can stay on Hataa Island in beachfront home stays to suit all budgets. You can arrange to dive there, ask Bluemotion, which is handy because there’s a greater chance of seeing the hammerheads by diving early, 6am ish, I was regularly told. Bluemotion are building bungalows there to open later next year which would be a great place for a couple of nights. I was lucky to see hammerheads on both of the dives we did at Hataa.
I enjoyed Critter Junkies also and had Benny as my guide a couple of dives, great eyes for the small stuff. I don’t normally go for macro but the sites right off the shore at Laha were amazing. Friendly vibe, well run and very accommodating operation. I did 4 dives a day no issues, mainly from the shore, couple from the boat. I think they’re pretty much on the best sites there anyway. Also stayed at Crecia which was good, clean, AC. The taxi was 50k to critter junkies and there was often other divers at crecia to split the ride. I’d definitely return to both Banda and Ambon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom