1 week Ambon Oct 2020 with whom to go? Critter Junkies, Blue Rose or Dive Into Ambon?

Ambon Oct 2020: Critter Junkies, Ambon Blue Rose Divers or Dive Into Ambon?

• Critter Junkies

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Ambon Blue Rose Divers

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Dive Into Ambon

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Spice Island Divers (ex-Maluku Divers)

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all!
Me and 2 friends have just booked a Banda Sea liveaboard with the MY Emperor Raja Laut (Ambon-Ambon) October 17-24 2020 (2 more friends should join us shortly).
Our plan Oct - Nov 2020 is:
October 10-17: dive Ambon with a local dive center
October 17-24: Banda Sea liveaboard (Ambon-Ambon) with the MY Emperor Raja Laut
October 24 - November 4: go stay on Banda Neira and dive with a local dive center there

Ambon...5-7 days of diving prior to our liveaboard: my first instinct would be to dive with Critter Junkies and stay at a nearby guest house.
But there is also Ambon Blue Rose Divers - anyone would recommend them instead?
Also Dive Into Ambon has made us an okay offer...and their dive resort looks nice (compared to staying in a guest house near Critter Junkies or Ambon Blue Rose Divers). But with Dive Into Ambon I am worried that they are situated very, very far from the good muck diving spots in Ambon Bay (the Laha dive sites, etc.).
As of now I have only dived Ambon Bay per liveaboard, so I have no experience with the local Ambon dive centers and dive resorts.
We would of course be thrilled to get to see the psychedelic frogfish...and I understand that chances are best going with a local dive center.
Therefore I would very much appreciate to hear some thoughts and inputs from someone who has already dived with some of the local dive centers in Ambon :)

Banda Neira...10 days of diving after our liveaboard: It seems to me that Blue Motion is the obvious choice?
I did a land excursion on Banda Neira as part of my Banda Sea liveaboard this Sept 27 - Oct 8 and I fell in love with the ambiance, history and scenery, so I am really looking forward to go stay on Banda Neira 9-10 days :)

As for the Banda Sea liveaboard Oct 17-24 with the MY Emperor Raja Laut: I have enquired directly to the cruise director about the itinerary. Luckily I got the response that weather permitting the itinerary does always include diving Pulau Manuk, Pulau Serua and Nil Desperandum (you know for them horned fishies ;-) ).

I used to dive with Blue Rose at the time they still had their operation in Namalatu/Santai beach, they had IMO one of the best guides I met named Robet Leka who is now working for DIA. I was not fully impressed with the other guides more wide angle oriented, it may have changed now.
I had dived a few dives with Blue Motion as well which was... hmmh...to say the least... I was using my experience from diving with Robet to guide their bule instructor on the southern sites of Ambon bay.

Hence DIA would be my first pick now and I'd ask them Robet as a private guide (even though I dived in Raja Ampat with another of thir Manado originated guide who was good too, but Robet he's really one of a kind when it comes to macro.).

Im a huge Dive Into Ambon guy. I love all day in the sun on their comfortable boat rather than ashore in the area where the other two centers are- aint much there. Kaj is a good host and returning to sundowners around the pool with beautiful sky is a great evening. Simply stated, Kaj gets it. You will also get a day outside of Ambon Bay which is worth it.

I stayed and dived with DIA in February and really enjoyed it. I seem to remember the two shops you mentioned and honestly there is no comparison. However Maluku Divers have now reopened, a friend of ours stayed there recently. It’s called Spice Island or similar. This is nearer the best muck sites than DIA, but doesn’t have a pool. But the owner of DIA is an extremely kind nice friendly person who takes great care of everybody. I also loved the three tank dive concept with DIA , thé days flew by and struck lucky and saw the psychadelic on day 1.
Your trip sound amazing , enjoy it !

So far Dive Into Ambon seems the recommended choice - thanks! :-D
But diving Ambon Bay (the Laha dive sites) how does that work with a dive resort situated so far away?
On a full-day boat tour you do a reef dive half-way, then dive Ambon Bay and then another reef dive on the way back to Dive Into Ambon?

#Tippytoes12 would you by any chance know how to contact Maluku Divers? Both their fb page and their website are still defunct.

Hi

You do either reef one day and muck the next day or vice versa. The reef dives were nice and as I say that’s where we saw the psychadelic. For the muck dives you travel in the DIA minibus to a pier in or near the town where their second boat is moored and leave from there. For reef dives you just sail across the bay. It’s is valet driving at its very best , everybody was super nice and super helpful and a very nice lunch was served after the second dive I think.

The former Maluku Divers is called Spice Island Dive or Divers and they have a Facebook page. My friend loved it !

But diving Ambon Bay (the Laha dive sites) how does that work with a dive resort situated so far away?
On a full-day boat tour you do a reef dive half-way, then dive Ambon Bay and then another reef dive on the way back to Dive Into Ambon?

DIA has two boats. One is less than ten minutes by van over on the bay. The other is moored off the hotel for the blue water dives.

DIA does three dives a day- You are off in the morning (8:00 ish?) and back around 4:30. Again, one might as well be on the the water enjoying the boat time as Ambon is pretty industrial and not really a destination for anyone but divers. There is amazing food including Ambonese rujak- easily the best I have ever had. Sunset and Ambon rujak with a rum and coke is pretty much perfect.

Thank you all - it is all very valuable information! I really appreciate your info and recommendations! :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom