Ambergris for Vegetarians?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I are headed to Ambergris for 9 days - leaving this Friday. We are both vegetarians (check out her book- The complete idiots guide to being vegetarian, 2nd edition http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0028639502/healingfeatsholi/002-4998273-2316048 and YES, my wife wrote it!).

She's a bit more strict than I am - no fish or eggs for her. Nothing with legs for me. How about some recommendations for restaurants, please!

You're wife did a good job on that book....I'm not a vegetarian (I like steak and lamb too much to give it up) but some of my friends are and they gave me a copy of this book to read when I had some questions about their dietary habits. Pass along my thanks to your wife for writing a book that was not only informative, but held the interest of a carnivore like myself :wink:

Thank you for the feedback, Stephen. I've forwarded it on to my wife. Very glad that you enjoyed her work and that it answered some of your questions.

Ambergris has loads of restaurants the staple diet here is Rice and Beans done a variety of ways ie the belizean rice and beans mixed white rice and stewed beans. plus potatoe salad green salads, veggie burritos and tacos etc I am sure you guys will not go hungry :)

Try

Mangos
Fidos
Taste of Thailand
Elvis
the new sushi place Rice & Roll at Fidos

to name a few

Have a great trip

Gaz

Gaz:
Ambergris has loads of restaurants the staple diet here is Rice and Beans done a variety of ways ie the belizean rice and beans mixed white rice and stewed beans. plus potatoe salad green salads, veggie burritos and tacos etc I am sure you guys will not go hungry :)

Try

Mangos
Fidos
Taste of Thailand
Elvis

to name a few

Have a great trip

Gaz

But always be aware that a staple of all Central American cuisine is Chicken Broth based. The locals still perceive it as vegetarian food, nevertheless.

Gaz:

Try

Mangos
Fidos
Taste of Thailand
Elvis

to name a few

Have a great trip

Gaz
Great. Now
I. Am. Starving.

RoatanMan:
But always be aware that a staple of all Central American cuisine is Chicken Broth based. The locals still perceive it as vegetarian food, nevertheless.

GOOD point Roatan Man best to double check ingrediants

regards

Gaz

mmmm.....NOW I'M HUNGRY....LOL

If you are strict about lard in beans, rennet in cheese, and chicken broth in surprising places, then Belize (and Costa Rica, and Honduras, and...) can be tricky. I practice a "don't ask don't tell" policy about cheese when I travel. (Yes, I do have mixed feelings about this, but pizza is such a staple. Sigh). There was an Indian takeout place on Ambergris Caye when we visited 3 years ago - not in San Pedro town, about a mile out. But worth the hike!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom