Ambergris early Sept?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DStack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are looking at Ambergris in early Sept for our anniversary dive trip (9/2-9/12). As it's the low season what should we expect in the way of atmosphere. I know of one resort that is CLOSED in September. Is that true for other places/resturants? Don't want to get down there and realized that the place is all but shut down.

Generally we Dive, eat, sleep on our trips. Any advice on side trips or excursions for our off gassing before we come home?

A number of places - resorts, restaurants, dive & tour companies - may be closed, but most closures don't happen before October. The place won't be "all but shut down". As it is well and truly in hurricane season and this year we could have more storms than usual (given the very hot and humid weather we're currently experiencing) I would ensure you buy good trip insurance asap just to be sure. If we do start having storms (and we didn't last year, despite predictions) then you may find it difficult to buy insurance.

Do you have in mind anywhere to stay & dive? I can make suggestions if you want. Would be useful to know your budget and aspirations.

The good news is that in the low season, if a hurricane is approaching, you should still be able to get off the island (peninsula)

Good point. We always get several days' notice of an approaching hurricane so you need have no fears over personal safety, just a possibly curtailed holiday and added expense.

Apart from the threat of a hurricane or tropical storm few places will be closed at this time.

The good thing with storms is that you will usually get about three days notice and can evacuate or make alternative plans.

September is the month of National Celebrations, the 10th Battle of St. George's Caye Anniversary and 21st Independence day are public and bank holidays.

Thus you can supplement your diving by joining the celebrations, carnival, music performances and other public events.

The tricky thing about the storms is, one, you see them coming from way out past Jamaica and DO have time to react....but sometimes you think, "Nahhhh, it's going to swing north towards Cancun".
Or worse, the ones that get us are like Keith, which formed up out of nowhere just offshore north of San Pedro. Or Iris, which was headed into Belize City for a while, then kept turning south and came ashore in Big Creek. Or....I forget the name back in 05 or so....that formed right off Honduras and luckily passed by us but slammed into Cozumel.
Or last year....Richard...the little tropical storm that picked up speed right as it came shore in Mullins River.
We've had three hurricanes hit Belize since 2000 and I've been right in the middle of all of them.

You're very unlucky down there. Up here in San Pedro we haven't had a bad storm since 2000, though in 2007 we did briefly experience 140mph gusts in Dean. I think three times we've had docks and buildings on them damaged by high water, but virtually no wind damage. Fingers crossed for this year, as we've had such a long period of hot, humid, still weather that is traditionally regarded as conducive to storms.

thanks for the info peter. It's a huge help. I'll definetly look into what DAN covers for trip insurance and supplement as needed. Price we pay for going in Sept is the risk of hurricanes, but the plus side is most places are far more affordable and there are no kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom