Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NatureDiver... Just returned from my 7 weeks in Belize and Honduras. I was on Lindblad Expeditions Sea Lion going between Belize City and Puerto Cortes with stops at Lighthouse Reef and Utila... weather permitting!

Spent the last week on Caye Caulker with a quick trip to Ambergris to see what it was like. The entire week I was there the wind howled and the dive op I went with (and most others) did not dive outside the barrier reef so we missed Turneffe and other intended sites. All-in-all still a great trip, but if I were just down there for a week I'd watch the weather and make sure the dive boats were big enough to get out beyond the reef.

Dr. Bill

kelphelper:
* having the DM GRAB me while I was adjusting my mask and my heart pounding from that grab which made me feel like I could not catch my breath for the next 20 minutes

What f**k was the DM doing?! Did you ever find out and tell the jerk not to alarm the clientel while diving? Some of those nitwits need their heads examined - power trippers who couldn't make the local police force, I guess. Sorry you had such a meager experience.
=Terry

terrydarc:
Sorry you had such a meager experience.
=Terry
Thanks Terry. Although it was bad at the time, I was over it by the next dive... Half Moon Caye can take away any troubles! What a glorious place!

DivePartner1:
I just got back on Friday. I'd don't recommend Sun Breeze Hotel--particularly rooms 208, 210, 211 and 212 which lack decent windows.

Sorry you weren't that happy at the Sunbreeze. Can you elaborate a little, I've been reading posts for the last week that have differing opinions of the Sunbreeze. I'll be attending a conference there in March and want to cover all the bases. :42:

we jusy stayed at Belizean shores. The place is great, but the dive team there stinks. A guy named Rico runs the "adventure center"or whatever they called it...this guy was a hustler he tried to sell us everything and he won't take you the good spots just the ones that save him gas. My adice to Rico was " buddy... sit up straight, cover your tattoes, put on a collared shirt, stand behind that couinter and treat me like a guest" he had to watch his competitors pick us up every morning for a week after he lost our business.

we went less than 1 mile north and dove with the comapnay that runs out of Journeys resort. Its a short bike ride from Belizean shores and well worth it, they will pick you up every morning from your dock. Our DM was named Geni. he was super cool and took us to some amazing spots. one of which was called "tackle box" this was our X-mass day dive. have fun...

scubajeanie:
Planning a trip for early May, has anyone stayed with Belizian Shores in the past 6 months? Everything I have found has been positive so far but appreciate more feedback. Also, what DO did you use while you stayed there? I am torn from staying at Lighthouse for a week, Ambergris Caye or Nekton Liveaboard. Appreciate any feedback.

think sunbreeze has been done up since last jan - at least some of the rooms. Some of the corner rooms looked pretty small - we were in 101 - which had a massive window - take a look at the map on Sunbreezes website - maybe request one of the larger rooms - I woulnt say Sunbreeze was luxurious but it's definately value for money - Victoria House and the Yacht Club are probably smarter!

glue:
we went less than 1 mile north and dove with the comapnay that runs out of Journeys resort. Its a short bike ride from Belizean shores and well worth it, they will pick you up every morning from your dock. Our DM was named Geni. he was super cool and took us to some amazing spots. one of which was called "tackle box" this was our X-mass day dive. have fun...

Was this Journey's End??
Will be there in May for a conference and a week if diving :)

Paul in VT

hil71:
think sunbreeze has been done up since last jan - at least some of the rooms. Some of the corner rooms looked pretty small - we were in 101 - which had a massive window - take a look at the map on Sunbreezes website - maybe request one of the larger rooms - I woulnt say Sunbreeze was luxurious but it's definately value for money - Victoria House and the Yacht Club are probably smarter!

Thanks for the update, I'll check them out. Ken

PaulChristenson:
Was this Journey's End??
Will be there in May for a conference and a week if diving :)

Paul in VT

Your right it is Journey's End...nice place to stay.

We stayed at Banana Beach last April, the oceanfront rooms are great. We really liked the location too. Eat at Jambell Jerk and Lilly's... good food. The Blue Hole was an experience. The ocean was really rough on the return trip and my poor daughter was not doing so well...there were others on the boat sick too. Here is a great place for information http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=4;DaysPrune=20
I posted pics from our trip at http://community.webshots.com/user/klfraser11.. It was my first underwater pics to don't laugh... There are some pics of Banana Beach.

Back
Top Bottom