Amazing how much lifesaving meds are overpriced in the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from cost differences, nothing is free - you are paying taxes for your “free” public health system.
It’s true but I think the US has much higher prices for the same medication than most (if not all) countries in Europe (even if you include medication bought by European public medical services)

A random google, shows the ridiculous example of insulin, I have not fact checked the link below …

Why not go all in with back alley abortions....

Hush hush. That’s coming soon. There’ll be a run on wire coat hangers in Texas soon.

Lots of waste and handouts… and doesn’t change the fact that healthcare is never free!
Free when you need it in some places, rich or poor never free in the US everything else is semantics.

I wonder if insurance companies pay the same discounted rates that Medicare does? If a person had a 20% copay based on the before discounted amounts, then the company woluldn't pay anything, as I BoulderJohn's experience.
I have been amazed at Medicare approved rates on medical procedures as well. Sure, there are physicians who do not accept Medicare, but there are plenty who do. Here's one example. This recent round with my Cardiology firm started with my other leg as a stent previously inserted had broken. I was examined at their office, then told to go to ER at the Heart hospital. Two nights and a procedure usually done at their clinic...

Total amount charged $94,510.09
Medicare paid provider $13,016.49
The remaining paid by supplement $1,506.00
Leaving me to think that the other $80K was excessive, but all show as no one pays it.

I wonder if insurance companies pay the same discounted rates that Medicare does? If a person had a 20% copay based on the before discounted amounts, then the company woluldn't pay anything, as I BoulderJohn's experience.
Almost always less, they negotiate profit margin since you pay the cost with the copay

The point is that someone has to pay - it’s not free!
Of course its not free, it is paid through taxation however it means that you do not need a separate insurance and you do not have the same level of profiteering that occurs in markets that don't have national health services

Of course its not free, it is paid through taxation however it means that you do not need a separate insurance and you do not have the same level of profiteering that occurs in markets that do have national health services
And the drug illustrated in post #1 is made in the UK. US price- $16.67. UK - $1.94 with free shipping.
1678392462260.png

Back
Top Bottom