Am i screwed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patoloco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
First dive 70 feet for 38 minutes.

surface Interval 45 minutes

Second dive: 70 feet, about 20 minutes (computer died)

decomp stop at 15 feet for 5 minutes

back on surface....no symptoms other than the usual aches after a 40 year old in moderate shape does 2 dives in a row in cool water (60 degrees)

Not a doctor, no medical background at all, but V-planner says your dives are just fine, assuming you did a 3-min safety stop on the first dive. No deco requirement all all on the second dive, so the 5min safety stop was just that.

cool ,thanks. I couldn't find an online resource that was free.

So does the PADI Recreational Dive Planner. (Though you were JUST on the line on both dives.)

yeah, I kinda figured that i was on the line...but i did end up with over 2 pounds of shucked fresh scallops. Of course, if I got bent, they would be the most expensive scallops, ever!

You DO have DAN insurance, right?????

To avoid panic in these situations just think it through.

First dive was per computer, you did a safety interval and started your second dive without your computer complaining.

If you made a direct ascent upon computer failure you should be fine, safety stop or not, otherwise your computer would have shown you with NDL

Of course if it was dead on your first look into the dive...all bets are off :wink:

The only way your screwed is if you had a 3rd dive planned

yeah, I kinda figured that i was on the line...but i did end up with over 2 pounds of shucked fresh scallops. Of course, if I got bent, they would be the most expensive scallops, ever!

*ahem*

My "fee" for this not professional advice is a half-pound of those scallops, please. :)

I came up with similar numbers on v planner. A little different based on my personal settings but it looks ok. My question though is what were your planned dives and what contingencies did you have? Also when you worked the dives out before doing them what did you come up with on tables or on your computer's dive planning screen. I'd hope you did this before you even got in the water.

Ahem, well, in answer to those who wondered how i had planned my dives the other day. I must confess: i didnt; My plan was to do a single dive for scallops. But, I got turned around on the bottom, and ended up in a veritable scallop desert (filled with lobsters and skates and flounders....none of which i wanted to eat). So, when I came up and my buddy went down, I had a nice surface interval to consider my lack of scallops. When he came up with over 100 pounds, he suggested that I try again. Despite my 29 years of diving experience, I stupidly dove down again. My punishment last night: I was so tired, I felt ill and just went to bed; leaving all the fresh scallops for my in-laws to eat. I have likely gotten away with it now that it's been 24 hours, but it does rank up there with "dumbest things I have ever done while diving."

Almost as bad as diving hung-over in 4 foot swells with a new-to-me diver who then tried to bolt to the surface.....but that's another story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom