Am I in over my head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most important issue on a used compressor is parts avaibility. Some of the older ones have limited parts availablity. If it is a Bauer it should not be an issue.
Don't sweat the air quality issue. I have been pumping my own air for 40+ years and never had problems.

It's a frightening process, getting started pumping your own air. It will involve a lot more time, energy and cost than you imagined. Once you're up and running, you'll look back and realize that it really wasn't so bad afterall.

For most people, the convenience and satisfaction of pumping and blending your own gas makes it all worthwhile.

There is a great thread on Decostop about building your own scuba compressor system. It's a "Sticky" at the top of the compressor section.

Decostop is also a great place to read about all other aspects of your home compressor system, just do a search. Scubaboard is also good, but I find the information on Decostop to be much better.

-make sure the power and phase of the compressor matches what you have at home
-you may need to have an electrician change out a circuit breaker and/or change the outlet/cord
-make sure parts are available for your compressor
-do you have a good place for your compressor inlet where you can get clean air?
-consider getting a carbon monoxide an analyzer to check you gas
-it's a good idea to get your air tested at least annualy, by a lab such as Analytic Chemists
-does your compressor come with a filter? If not, what are you going to do?

Any specific questions, please send me a PM.

If you are going to run the unit at home, make sure you can meet the power requirements.

Craig

As it turns out the compressor was 3 phase 208V so I dropped it. I could run my own single phase 240V outlet at a minimal cost but adding 3 phase is pricey. After reading all these posts though I may revisit this in the future. Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

Back
Top Bottom