Am I in over my head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
What are the considerations one has to take into account when buying a used scuba compressor? I've seen one for sale at a reasonable price and it is fairly new. My first thought was "awesome, that would be really convenient!" but after thinking a little more I'm a little nervous about all the things that could go wrong (i.e. bad air fills). Is it worth it?

It goes without saying that by definition, all Scuba divers are in over their heads.

Are you just planning on air or are you doing Nitrox fills? You do have to factor in other costs!

Servicing -Not all that expensive if you are mechanically inclined. Our servicing expenses are higher because of the # of fills that we do.
Filters - If doing Nitrox blending then there are multiple filters
Air samples - I recommend getting the tested for purity. We do a lot of fills at our shop so we send out for air samples 4 times a year.
Oxygen - Need this if you are doing Nitrox fills
Gauges, Valves, Whips, K bottles etc.. depending on how you are going to set it up.

It all depends on what you are planning to do.

I would love to have my own compressor.

There are going to be pros and cons to owning your own compressor.

Pro:
  • convenience - get the fill you want, when you want
  • cost per fill - low if you do a fair amount of fills
  • you can mix your own Nitrox on Trimix

Con
  • one more thing to maintain
  • cost per fill - high if you don't do a lot of fills

I'm sure there are more for each list.

It will be like the rest of your gear. You'll learn how to use it an maintain it!

Thanks for the responses! My wife and I are diving air so far but we are continuing with our education and will eventually dive nitrox for some dives. I am very mechanically inclined so I'm not afraid to do my own maintenance. The plan is eventually to get our own boat with an onboard compressor. Gotta starts somewhere! I guess the air quality was what worried me. The compressor I'm looking at has an electrical driven motor.

You should be fine.

Don't worry about the cost of the compressor, it's like having money in the bank; you could likely sell it for more than you bought it for.

When the time comes for nitrox, set it up for continuous blending.

The convenience factor is priceless. If it really is a good deal I'd say jump on it. Make sure to see it pump up to service pressure before buying. Check for leaks. Enjoy.

If you are going to run the unit at home, make sure you can meet the power requirements.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom