Am I getting carried away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

look at this video, taken with an RX100 in the tuamotu. I do think it beats gopro. [video=youtube;tu3QEZJ0gMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3QEZJ0gMo[/video]

That looks really good. The reason I was thinking of the gopro was because I could put a red filter on it to bring the color back.Does anyone have any videos using the RX-100 with video lights? How much light did you use?

I have a RX-100 with two strobes and want to add a gopro on it with two sola 1200 lights. Am I getting too carried away on a system that isn't a dslr?

Actually I think you can and should. Besides, for all but the pros are not dSLRs so yesterday? :wink:

Using a GoPro for video prevents double tasking your still camera and allows you to set up and optimize it for your primary mission, good still photos. The GoPro just rides shotgun for that opportunity that comes along or just to record some interesting action without having to constantly reset your camera from still to video and missing opportunities.

But, as I found, the guys are right, it is hard to do two things at once and if you are like me and like vertical shots, well, the GoPro is going to do some interesting barrel rolls and maneuvers as I/you position for a still shot.

The GoPro is so small even sitting atop my nearly as small Nauticam/FIX S90 it did not feel awkward at all. I am already at work refining my rig to better handle the GoPro.

However, I do not have video lights, I used my strobe LED modeling lights, not ideal. But I also found that with the red filter, in the clear Cayman waters, even at depth, I felt my videos were representative of what I saw. I am not much for overpowering the ambient with strobes on still camera or video with huge lights.

N

I don't have a Sony (Olympus TG-3). But ever since I started shooting underwater; I've always had a GoPro mounted in my cold shoe with some flip filters. I love it as it's always recording; and might catch something I can't get a good photo of in time / or just looks better in video. I prefer photo's / macro; but I appreciate having video always on. I started with a single Fix Neo 2000 DX SWR light and a Sea&Sea YS-D1 Strobe (this is more than enough light / power for my little camera). This works great with two clamps and a 4" arm on each side (keeps things compact). I am now adding some Mega Inon S Float arms; Dual YS-D1 stobe's and Dual Fix Neo Lights. It is waaaaaay overkill for a TG-3 but I get some really great shots; and even though it's silly to have 3k+ invested in arms/stobes/lights this setup will work for virtually any camera I decide to upgrade to in the future. IMO you can never have enough light underwater; and I don't even notice the gopro is ever there (just make sure you remember to start recording (ie: I have an older Hero 3 so I have the additions screen accessory that I have set to autoshut-off after like 30 seconds - allows me to easily verify it's recording and in the right mode)...

And for all those who are saying the RX100 beats the GoPro, the nice thing is you have both (inc. redundancy). If something epic were to happen on your dive you have a much better chance of catching it with two camera's vs. one. Or if you have a catastrophic failure, you have backup. Think of the GoPro as your Octopus :)

Last edited:
I use the rx100 mark II for video and I have a gopro too. I took it in the water together few times and there was nothing better with the gopro footage especially in terms of colour and dynamic range. I use red filters on the rx100 there is a whole set of considerations on my blog and you can check the videos on the YouTube channel. I also don't believe leaving a gopro to record the whole dive produces anything worthwhile in most cases this is based on how I like my videos to look and may differ for others

Back
Top Bottom