Am I crazy, or is this a stone axe???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the link in my above post. And the prices associated with such artifacts.

At those prices I have a couple friends with a LOT of money in aritfacts. I remember one telling me that if you buy, beware of fakes that were "made" by someone last year. He found all his.

I would doubt that the stone was ground into that shape, other than the groove to tie it to a handle. It's most likely a river stone, worn smooth and rounded by the water. The cutting tools, as you stated, were chipped from a flint like rock...like the arrow heads.

Appreciate the input, but let me stoke the fire a little. This stone is granite and it took someone a fair amount of time to shape and form. The grouve appears to be impact created.

DSC034741.JPG

The blade was a definite grind down to shape, I've wetted the top of the blade with some water so you can see the detail of the grinding action.

DSC034751.JPG

With the even patina and heavy weathering on one side I'm saying it is not a modern replica. I'm sure at this point this is pre-circa 1600ad relic.

I have seen serviceable axes made from granite .. and that looks just like one of them

if you have flint, you would make many tools from it
.. if the only thing in your area is granite .. flint now becomes an expensive commodity and your not going to be able to make all your tools from it

That does look ground. The fine edge wasn't apparent in the first photo.

Appreciate the input, but let me stoke the fire a little. This stone is granite and it took someone a fair amount of time to shape and form. The grouve appears to be impact created.

DSC034741.JPG

The blade was a definite grind down to shape, I've wetted the top of the blade with some water so you can see the detail of the grinding action.

DSC034751.JPG

With the even patina and heavy weathering on one side I'm saying it is not a modern replica. I'm sure at this point this is pre-circa 1600ad relic.

Cool! Almost as old as the boat I found at 100 ft! :D (+/-500 yrs, carbon dated)

Anyways, it would be a "crime" to have it painted and put in a window. I'm glad you got your hands on it.

Ahh, I know I know, It's a baked Potato from the early 1500's have you found the microwave thay used back then as well?:rofl3:

Seriously, i really want to go hunting for rocks like that now... how fun!!! I have a top of the line metal detector that I have yet to find a good place to use it around here...

So do you know what it is crazy man?? :D

So do you know what it is crazy man?? :D

Much to your and Jen's chagrin; I think with the help of SB members, I am not
crazy but, "I'm still TM#2!" I think I'll take my replica of a dinosaur tooth made
from a baked potato down to UofL some day for a new home!

Question is, Which exhibit will it be displayed in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom