Am I bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robert80

Registered
Reaction score
This is embarrassing but here goes. Did 4 dives last Saturday. First dive I had a problem and went into deco, dive was to 108ft, did a deep stop at 60 and deco obligation of 4 mins at 15ft on 40%., both computers cleared me 1:15 si. 2nd dive to 84ft, bt 12 mins, safety stop 5mins at 15. 1hr si. 3rd dive to 43 mins for 22mins with 5 mins safety stop. 20 min si. 4th dive was 27 ft for 20 mins w/ 5 mins ss. That was quite a bit of diving however with the exception of the 1st dive my nitrogen levels were well within acceptable range. Other than the 40% on deco, it was all air diving. The pain started the next day in my shoulders but I figured it was just from clipping s/m steel 100s on and off. There is no joint pain and just more of an irritation than pain. I am now having some aches in my upper left arm and both legs below the knee, it is not constant. I do have back problems which could be causing this but I am just wondering if I am overreacting. Seems like the pain would be unbearable 4 days later. Btw I am a member of DAN and a tec 45 diver. Maybe I should give dan a call. Opinions?

call DAN.

[edit]and hickdive++, thats a lot of bouncing... and very short SIs.

I'm sorry, to clarify, they weren't bounce dives. First dive had a total time of 44 mins, I turned at 12. Second had a total time of 36 mins. I agree the last 2 si's were kind of short especially the last one, that was poor judgement on my part and that's no excuse!!

It will not matter if you called Dan, they like all other professional medical people they will tell you to go see a professional and get checked out. That will mean an automatic chamber ride. It has been my experience if you have to ask then you are not. I have seen many divers have some pain or odd feelings after big dives. We usually just take Aspirin, Aleve, or something else that thins the blood and offers pain relief. Doesn't matter if you have Dan insurance or not your primary will pay the bill, Dan is a secondary insurance and only pays the deductible. Mates have to do that bouncing all the time.

DCS I symptoms - Pain, marbeling, swelling.

Pain that is bilateral, in both limbs in the same spot, and pain occurring in the torso/trunk should be treated as symptoms of DCS II.

What you have described are type I symptoms that have progressed into type II symptoms, I would seek help immediately.

Call DAN . They can give you the best med advice If you (if) got DCS I would have to say that last SI would be where I would start as saying it came from . That is a lot of diving for one day with such sort SI's . 2 deep dives an average dive (IMO) AND A SHALLOW DIVE AFTER only a 20 minute SI . I would have waited a minimum of an hr before that dive

Thank you all for the advice and for not berating me!! I have contacted DAN and spoke with Francis for 25 mins, she was extremely nice and helpful, I should have done this to begin with. She asked for dive profile which I gave her. She asked about symptoms and where the pain is and when it occurs among other things. The pain onset was @ the 22hr mark which is still within range but not very likely. Of course she cannot definitively give me an answer over the phone but she said it his highly unlikely that it is DCS. She stated even if it was, that most physicians would probably not recommend treatment and maybe prescribe a mild pain med especially since it has been 4 days however she would give me a referral to a local physician. Thank you all!!

Keep us posted. Hope you are alright and make a full recovery.

Thank you all for the advice and for not berating me!! I have contacted DAN and spoke with Francis for 25 mins, she was extremely nice and helpful, I should have done this to begin with. She asked for dive profile which I gave her. She asked about symptoms and where the pain is and when it occurs among other things. The pain onset was @ the 22hr mark which is still within range but not very likely. Of course she cannot definitively give me an answer over the phone but she said it his highly unlikely that it is DCS. She stated even if it was, that most physicians would probably not recommend treatment and maybe prescribe a mild pain med especially since it has been 4 days however she would give me a referral to a local physician. Thank you all!!
Good call!

If you have any signs or symptoms of the bends, call DAN.

Back
Top Bottom