Am I a Nerd for Practicing Diving in a Pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ez E

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I came back to diving after 23 years of non diving. Im originally NAUI OW in 2001. Did a PADI comprehensive refresher in Jan of this year. Went diving in Aruba in March. First time in the ocean, first time with surge first time in OW in 20 years.

I have been renting tanks and diving in my buddies pool to get more comfortable underwater. Am I a nerd?

I came back to diving after 23 years of non diving. Im originally NAUI OW in 2001. Did a PADI comprehensive refresher in Jan of this year. Went diving in Aruba in March. First time in the ocean, first time with surge first time in OW in 20 years.

I have been renting tanks and diving in my buddies pool to get more comfortable underwater. Am I a nerd?
I don't think nerd is the right term but getting comfortable diving in a controlled environment isn't a bad thing.

I don't think nerd is the right term but getting comfortable diving in a controlled environment isn't a bad thing.
Thats where I am at. Every dive even in a very controlled environment seems to be helping.

I had what I call 10 minutes of sh*t show when I would first get in the water. Any water. And then settle in.

I feel like now I am more comfortable in the initial water phase.

I am not sure that practicing "skills" in a pool has any bearing on being a nerd or not.

I do wish I had a pool that I could practice skills in. I don't think of myself as a nerd. I am however a gEEk. :wink:

The pool is very limited. I have been practicing buoyancy while floating just above the floor of the pool. Also have been doing mask removal and replacement and then clearing. I know that is easy peasy for most but I struggled with it when I went through my refresher. Not sure why as I aced it in 2001 when I did it initially.

Thats where I am at. Every dive even in a very controlled environment seems to be helping.

I had what I call 10 minutes of sh*t show when I would first get in the water. Any water. And then settle in.

Have fun with it. Learn how to manipulate everything on your kit that could possibly need adjusted, fixed, clipped, zipped, dumped, opened, removed, etc. Do it all neutral. Is there something you can't reach? Take your kit off and move it around til you learn where everything works best for you. Do it all underwater even. Play with every setting on your computer. I spent about 4 hours goofing in pools when I first got my kit. I still do that with the last bit of gas on easy dives in springs.

Many - including myself - would have loved to have had access to a pool to work on skills in a controlled environment. Hopefully you are getting some support if there is something specific you are having difficulty with.

Pool pratice is great.

If you decide to go into more advanced diving, you will find that pool very valuable. You will be doing skills while hovering at depth. I even practiced cave diving in a pool by putting a variety of objects in the bottom and tying line off to each one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom