Am a still safe with a 2001 Uwatec Aladin Pro dive computer ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would imagine so, since I have used it only for around 130 dives, and it looks fine.

But I am wondering if dive computers have made so much progress in these last years that maybe my 'old' computer is not so safe ?

I haveven't seen anything amazing in websites for the same range of price, so just asking.

Thanks for your input.

There are two things to consider re "safety". First, is the algorithm a standard one still in widespread use? I believe those older Aladins ran Buhlman Z-8. If so, you are fine in that regard.

The other thing is the reliability of a 14 year old piece of gear. Personally, no amount of good deal would get me to invest in a 14 year old dive computer. Something is going to give, and probably sooner rather than later. That is only my personal take. It does not make the computer "unsafe", only more likely to have some sort of failure merely due to age. Of course, new computers are not immune to failure, either, but the odds go up as time goes by.

Used to be one of my favs... until... the battery went dead when the "remaining battery life" indicated 38%. I have heard from a number of others who used this computer in the past (and from ScubaPro tech support) that the battery strength isn't measured by directly determining the voltage, but by using an algorithm. They have failed with as much as 40+% remaining battery life (mine failed on a long deco dive). Therefore although yours may show it still has plenty of battery life left (according to the algorithm), the fact it is that old may lead to battery failure much sooner than expected.

It is a perfectly good computer.

Used to be one of my favs... until... the battery went dead when the "remaining battery life" indicated 38%. I have heard from a number of others who used this computer in the past (and from ScubaPro tech support) that the battery strength isn't measured by directly determining the voltage, but by using an algorithm. They have failed with as much as 40+% remaining battery life (mine failed on a long deco dive). Therefore although yours may show it still has plenty of battery life left (according to the algorithm), the fact it is that old may lead to battery failure much sooner than expected.

I had an opportunity to talk to a tech about this. The fact is that the type of batter - the long life battery, becomes less resilient after time. Therefore, if you got on a dive and the battery is old, you are taking a chance.

If the battery is old (in my case, ten years old), it can die quickly. Lesson - get the battery replaced every 5 years.

Lastly, Uwatecs are designed to "fail safe", i.e., become unusable instead of putting up possibly bogus numbers. I like that, I have backup computers. Some people are happy to dive with a computer "that goes diving without them" or is off in the depth measurements, etc. Me -- no way.

Of course, if you are diving deco, you would have a computed deco schedule in just such a case.

your computer is safe to use. i use aladins from 1995. very reliable workhorses. the only issue is battery replacement.

i am surprised yours still has power after 14 years. have you had the battery replaced? if not, then you should expect it to fail very soon as the battery is considered to have a 10 year shelf life.

if you are handy you can change the battery but it is messy (oil filled computer) and requires soldering. there are services on ebay that will replace the battery for a fee.

Reactions: Jax
I would imagine so, since I have used it only for around 130 dives, and it looks fine.

But I am wondering if dive computers have made so much progress in these last years that maybe my 'old' computer is not so safe ?

I haveven't seen anything amazing in websites for the same range of price, so just asking.

Thanks for your input.

First welcome to da Board.

When was the last time you used it??

I am not sure if the computer is safe or not. You could have of the infamous UWATEC computers that has been recalled. Though in Spain I would first check the CPSC (I would also check the EU version):

Search Results: uwatec

After that I would suggest that you take the computer to a dive shop that has a pressure pot. I would put the computer in water and then pressurize the pot to various depths. I would do it multiple times to see if the computer works as it should. I would do these steps with a second computer in the pot to compare.

your computer is safe to use. i use aladins from 1995. very reliable workhorses. the only issue is battery replacement.

Hopefully not one of these:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2003/CPSC-UWATEC-AG-Announce-Recall-of-1995-Aladin-Air-X-NitrOx-Dive-Computers-/

I have been using the same Aladin Pro Nitrox since 1997. Learnt how to change the battery on line, it is messy but not rocket science.
The average life for the battery is about 4-5yrs regardness of useage! The computer could fail even with over 60% power.
BTW, Scubapro will charge you an arm and a leg to change the battery!!!!

What model is it? The grey coloured Aladin Pro(air only) should have been discontinued by 2001.
My Aladin Pro unfortunately died last yr after serving me well since 1996. Part of the display screen turned black and blocked out certain info. The brightness of my Alasin Pro Nitrox has also turned slightly dimed even with full power!! Sign of ageing? So I bought a discontinued Oceanic Veo 180 on line for under US$200.00 as a back up.

Battery life is strongly depending on use. Mine didn't last five years, but then I was doing about 300 dives a year back then so it saw a lot of dives notched quickly.

If the battery is the original I would recommend NOT using this computer until you get a new battery installed. When mine failed, I did a lot of talking to the ScubaPro tech folks. Back then the manual stated that even with the indicator stating at 0% you still would have a few dives left on it. Since so many failed at 30-50%, obviously that was not true.

I loved the fact that I could easily read the screen on that model.

When mine failed, I knew my remaining deco obligation but, unfortunately, had no alternate bottom timing device then. Now I dive with two computers.

I know of a UK supplier who will happily and reliably change the battery in one of these. I'm sure there will be similar suppliers in the US; just don't expect them to be authorised dealers with warranty back up.

If you can get the battery sorted out then the next issue is reliability of the depth sensor. You can get it checked for accuracy by someone with a watch test chamber. However, that doesn't tell you if the sensor is going to continue to be reliable over multiple future dives.

Finally, all that considered, the computer itself IIRC used a Bhulmann algorithm that is still in common use in more modern computers; so it it isn't going to be ridiculously different from your buddys'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom