Am a still safe with a 2001 Uwatec Aladin Pro dive computer ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure. Got the battery replaced twice, and now it is indicating 50 % battery.
Exactly, I used the EBay services you mention.
Was precisely wondering whether it was worth changing the battery once again, or getting a new computer.
But it has not given me any indices of failure of any kind.

With regards to depth sensor, I haven't noticed any different indication from the computer of my dive masters.

So with your opinions, will probably just change my battery and go on for another 5 years or so.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2015 at 04:25 PM ----------

Used it a couple of months ago. Seemed to work fine.
And I have checked the recalls you mentionned, mine is an Aladin Ultra, which does not seem to be affected.

Reactions: Jax
I have a range of dive computers including several Uwatec ones.

The old ones work well but have typically three missing features
1. Only work with air, no Nitrox option and even the later ones that do tend to only let you set it in 2% steps.
2. No safety stop timer (either manual or automatic)
3. Quite tricky now to find a computer and serial interface cable if you want to upload the dives and set the internal clock time (also limited internal memory so only last few dives stored in detail, thus the Memo Mouse product).

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 11:49 AM ----------

I forgot one other missing feature...
I don't think any of the early models support the concept of "SoS" or "Err" after a dive has gone wrong...
This I guess makes them less safe than a modern one which would lock you out for 24,48 or 72 hours (depending upon violation and make and model of computer).

Last edited:
I have a range of dive computers including several Uwatec ones.

The old ones work well but have typically three missing features
1. Only work with air, no Nitrox option and even the later ones that do tend to only let you set it in 2% steps.
2. No safety stop timer (either manual or automatic)
3. Quite tricky now to find a computer and serial interface cable if you want to upload the dives and set the internal clock time (also limited internal memory so only last few dives stored in detail, thus the Memo Mouse product).

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 11:49 AM ----------

I forgot one other missing feature...
I don't think any of the early models support the concept of "SoS" or "Err" after a dive has gone wrong...
This I guess makes them less safe than a modern one which would lock you out for 24,48 or 72 hours (depending upon violation and make and model of computer).
1. I did not find the 2% increment is really important, still using a Pro Nitrox since 1996/7.
2. I never need any timer to count 5mins at 6m.
3. Never an issue with me.
4. Don't know about the earlier models but mine will give SOS if I violated it eg. not clearing the deco when I used it as a timer. As for the Err, it has nothing to do with naughtiness, time to change the battery.

BTW, the OP is talking about a 2001 model.

1. I did not find the 2% increment is really important, still using a Pro Nitrox since 1996/7.
2. I never need any timer to count 5mins at 6m.
3. Never an issue with me.
4. Don't know about the earlier models but mine will give SOS if I violated it eg. not clearing the deco when I used it as a timer. As for the Err, it has nothing to do with naughtiness, time to change the battery.

BTW, the OP is talking about a 2001 model.
I can confirm that the early second generation (the first model with a big screen and no user openable battery) compartment does support SOS mode. I use one as a depth gauge in my pressure chamber. It gets bent every "dive".

I also agree that none of Automan issues are safety related.

Back
Top Bottom