Always wear a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugMug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dive in Texas, and the water-surface temperatures are about 85-degrees up to about 30ft right now. However, I pretty much always opt for a 5mm wetsuit for anything below the thermocline, or if I don't know the depth. It's quite common I dive close to rocky-shores where it may drop like a cliff or be relatively shallow. Basically, if I don't know, I plan ahead as if it's a 70ft dive, even if it's almost always shallower than that.

Last week, I did 3x dives that all ended up being 30ft or less, and was absolutely roasting in my wetsuit. But I'll take that over being cold.

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I pretty much always use my drysuit for local diving in the Great Lakes and a 3mm suit for warm water dives when we travel.

That is mainly because I don't feel like buying more suits...

There was a time when I would do dives in 72F water in 1 shorty wetsuit. On one dive (years ago), I was in my shorty and my buddy was in his bathing suit shorts at 72F and 120ft in the St Lawrence River. On that dive boat, there was literally everything from drysuits and full undergarments to just bathing shorts! I no longer have the tolerance for that, so would likely use my 3mm for that now, and drysuit for many repetitive dives.

I will always wear the 3mm in warm salt water just for sting prevention, etc.

I've also found tolerance to be tied to surface temps. In Thailand and Japan, it was hot above water so I warmed up quickly on surface intervals. In French Polynesia, I got cold on the boat and actually would have preferred staying in the water in shorts and rash guard.

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Summers in the Florida Keys -- it's too hot when I'm wearing just swim shorts

Summers in Cozumel -- long-sleeve shirt (rash guard) and swim short.

Yes, the jellies get me but I'm XY so I deal with it. The jellies usually get me in the face or lips anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Top Bottom