Aluminum vs Stainless Steel backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachee99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the differences between stainless steel and aluminum backplates. I know aluminum backplates are lighter. However, besides the weight, what are the advantages and disadvantages for either one. How does each effect performance and boyancy? How does it differ for comfort? Whom is best suited for each type of backplate. For example, is a stainless steel backplate more suitable for lighter and the aliminum for heavier divers? Does the type metal effect the kind of diving (, technical, drift, deep, ice, etc) you do?

What about durability? Which one tends to last longer and is less likely to sustain damage from use or transportation?

For divers with a wing set up, what kind of backplate do you use, and why?

The only significant difference is the weight/buoyancy.

I use an aluminium plate for dives where I do not need a lot more weight than my gear already provides: ie a single tank dive in warm water or steel doubles in fresh water.

I use a steel plate for dives where I want to take some weight off my belt: ie drysuit dives with a single or double where the extra 5 lb on my back is useful.

The Al plate is also more convenient for air travel.

Fit, comfort, etc: both the same - depends on design more that what metal is used. The knocks and bumps of day to day diving and travel will scratch an Al plate more than an iron plate - but they are still very durable.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Durability is not an issue, both are more than tough enough.

A stainless plate on avereage is about 6 lbs negative while an AL plate is about 2 lbs negative. Be advised thorugh that there are soem SS plates available that are thicker and heavier - up to 12 lbs negative.

As indicated above an AL plate is lighter for travel and nice when you don't require much weight with your configuration. Consider this though - you can't make a heavy plate lighter but you can make a lighter one heavier. There are weighted single tank adapters, channel weights, V-weights and tail weights available that will all add weight to a plate and there are plates designed for add on weights. Those are all options if you want one plate and harness and need to go from a lighter to heavier configuration such as when switching from warm tropical diving to cold water diving.

Most plates come in a standard size but a few are available in shorter or taller sizes. Most brands of plates also differ in design features. Some are flatter than others (can make a difference in bolt lenght with double tanks), some have slots for cam bands and some have multiple holes to adjust the doubles or STA up or down on the plate.

I've been pondering the same thing: aluminum versus steel.

I "think" that in my situation, I'll have to go with aluminum and here are my setup and my reason for aluminum:

I dive in Southern California primarily and don't anticipate any warm water diving any time soon, and if I were to do that then I'll take the TransPac. But I want to try a hard backplate/wing setup to see if I would prefer it over the TransPac.

I wear 7-mm wetsuit and use a steel high pressure tank that is -6lbs buoyancy. My current dive weight (not including the -6 in the tank) is 10-lbs (4 as trim weight attached to the TransPac and 6 on the belt).

If I were to go with the SS backplate then I have -6lbs on the plate plus -6lbs on the tank. I fear that I may be way over trimmed in that case not to mention I will only have 4-lbs on the weight belt. Would it be better for me to go with the aluminum backplate with the -2lbs buoyancy so that I can carry more weight on the belt and don't have to worry about too much trim weight pushing my shoulder down?

if your diving dry and find yourself front heavy you can use an al plate instead of ss to rebalance your rig and move some of the weight further down/back (with a tail weight for instance) so you will come out more balanced.

Other than that its mostly related to dry vs wet diving and the need for weight to get down. you can get excellent ss travel plates.

General rule:

Aluminum plate is for skinny diver (sinker) diving in warm water.

Steel plate is for fat diver (floater) diving in cold water.

Everyone is somewhere in between

If you can see your ribs and ab muscles in the mirror, and you have boney legs, you are skinny and probably a "sinker."

:)

General rule:

Everyone is somewhere in between

If you can see your ribs and ab muscles in the mirror, and you have boney legs, you are skinny and probably a "sinker."

:)

You mean an aluminum plate is better for a skinny dude like me? I mean I am not a bone rack, but I am by no means fat. What about a skinny diver using a steel plate in warm water?

You mean an aluminum plate is better for a skinny dude like me? I mean I am not a bone rack, but I am by no means fat. What about a skinny diver using a steel plate in warm water?

The cylinder buoyancy is a player. The typical al 80 encountered when traveling is +4 lbs when empty. Add a 3mm suit, which will be about +4 lbs and the diver will need about 8 lbs of total ballast.

A SS plate and harness is about -6 lbs and a reg is -2lbs. Bingo.

OTOH a thin suit SS plate and negative Steel tank will over weight the diver.

Tobin

General rule:

Of course the best "general rule" is that there are very few good "general rules."

Suppose the skinny diver is in salt water but because he is skinny he get's cold even in the tropics so he is wearing a full wetsuit? He's probably not much of a sinker!

Suppose the fat diver is diving in fresh water with steel doubles, slinging an 80 and a 40, wearing a 35w can light, carrying a 400' reel, etc, etc? Floating will not be an issue!

Unfortunately, I'm somewhere in between the fat/skinny guy. (6'2" and 190lbs) Further, I divide my diving between cold and warm locations, fresh and salt water, and single AL80s and double steel 119's.

For this reason I have two BP/harness rigs. One steel and one aluminum. Paired with either a singles wing (+/- STA) or a doubles wing I've got just about any environment knocked:

- fresh water and steel doubles: AL plate
- fresh water and steel singles: steel plate
- fresh water and AL singles: never dive this way, but guessing a steel plate plus weighted STA plus 4-6lbs would do it

- salt water and steel doubles: steel plate
- salt water and steel singles: steel plate plust weighted STA
- salt water and AL singles: steel plate plus weighted STA plus 4-6lbs lead

General rule:

Steel plate is for fat diver (floater) diving in cold water.]

I am a sinker, I can easily sit at the bottom of the pool in my bathing suit (6'3", 180#). In the pool for practice, I wear a 3mm wet suit, AL80, and Turtle Fins (they are negative something or other all by themselves).

I use a SS BP and am very comfortable with it. I don't wear ANY weight and that's exactly how I like it. Trim is perfect. I can swim the rig up, so I am not worried about ditch-able weight. If I go South this Spring, I'll take the SS plate just as it is.

For fresh water diving with my dry suit, I dive a steel tank and that is fine with my usual undergarments. If I wear the heaviest, winter undergarments I can bolt on additional weight or even my 12# single tank adapter and again I won't need ditch-able weight.

So I can't speak for the "general" rule, but I'm happy with a SS BP. Most of the people I know who dive an AL BP use it with steel doubles, where the tanks are so heavy they are trying to keep all the other weight down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom