Aluminum toxicity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradxb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I am doing some reading before I buy my first tank, after renting for a couple of years. I understand the pros/cons of aluminum versus steel. But I have not read anything about aluminum toxicity.

Ingestion of aluminum has been linked, in some studies, with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease. There is no conclusive evidence at this point.

Do you know of any diver-related research on this?

Thanks!

BradXB

bradxb:
Hi!

I am doing some reading before I buy my first tank, after renting for a couple of years. I understand the pros/cons of aluminum versus steel. But I have not read anything about aluminum toxicity.

Ingestion of aluminum has been linked, in some studies, with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease. There is no conclusive evidence at this point.

Thanks!

BradXB

Why, do you intend to periodically snack on your tank? Or do you suspect others might?

Ken

Most of us breath air transported by aluminum ductwork in our homes / work. So if there was a mechanism to move AL from the tank to you, it would also be present in that situation also, which would be a greater danger. Personally, I am not aware of any research and not consider this an issue.

The aluminum stays in the tank, not in you.

OTOH, a steel tank will last much longer and let you take some weight off your belt if you're diving with a drysuit or thick wetsuit,

Terry

bradxb:
Hi!

Thanks!

BradXB

GrumpyOldGuy:
Most of us breath air transported by aluminum ductwork in our homes / work.

I've never seen an aluminum duct in Manhattan, or anywhere else, except for the little hardware store stuff.

You are much more likely to ingest aluminum from other sources, the risk is insignificant, and should be ignored for all practical purposes.

Unless you clean all of your gear by licking it. But that's just wrong.

evad:
I've never seen an aluminum duct in Manhattan, or anywhere else, except for the little hardware store stuff.
Off Topic - Sorry

evad:

All I've EVER seen for ductwork is aluminum. They sure don't make it from steel! Too heavy, not easy enough to work with.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom