Aluminum to PST E-Series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings to all you technical types.

I have been diving a set of double Al80s all summer, and am getting fairly comfortable in them. I just finished my deco/advanced nitrox course and discovered that I don't have anywhere NEAR enoug gas to dive with the group I dive with. They all have LP 104s, and I am making my buddy come up with a third of his tank left. I am looking to expand my back gas, and am very interested in the PST E-series tanks. My understanding is that I could use my Thermo manifold and bands from my AL80s if I buy E7 tanks. Is this true? I would prefer not to have to buy a completely new setup if I dont need to, and have no complaints about my manifold or bands. Also, do E7 tanks come in 120s? (ie at the high pressure fill......I think they would be 104s if filled to 2600)?

Thanks for the help.

Wetvet

E7-100 & E7-120 (100 & 120 cu.ft @3442psi) have same outer diameter and neck thread as your AL80s, so you can keep manifold and bands.

Old LP 104s (new E8-130) are 8" in diameter, so the bands from AL80 won't fit.

Quick responses and info like this is what makes Scuba Board......well, Scuba Board.

Thanks again

wetvet once bubbled...
Quick responses and info like this is what makes Scuba Board......well, Scuba Board.

Thanks again

A quick trip to PST's web site would tell ya the same thing faster.

I couldn't seem to find E series info either.....thought I was just a little slow.

Wetvet

Here is the best data I've found re: PST E-series tanks:
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST E Series Tanks.htm

FWIW -
Your bands are for 7.25" aluminum tanks. The PST tanks are listed at 7.3".

Sounds pretty reasonable that the extra .5" would not be a showstopper. But be aware of it as you crank down on the bolts.

Appreciate the link and the advice.

Wetvet

Wetvet, the E7 series is the old high pressure tanks that were previously rated as 100 cuft tanks at 3500 psi. As stated they should work with the bands you have now. They used a 7/8" thread but the new E7 series which is basically the same tank went to the standard 3/4' thread so your manifold will work.

The 104s that your dive buddies are using have been replaced with the new E8 tanks which are 8 inch diameter.

They are still 104s at 2640 psig but hold 130 cuft ar 3442 psig.
You may want to check into the E8s before you purchase, they are still likely to be the most popular tank as the 104 has been so far with local divers. Especially if you think you might get into Trimix at some point.

The E8s are still not availble in Canada but should be soon :)

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom