Aluminium tank advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabanist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an opportunity to purchase an aluminum tank and would like some feedback on what I should be weary of.

here is the data:

Luxfer Aluminum Scuba Tank S-80
S# P135627 / 3000PSI / 08-94

Hydros 09-99

how much would you be comfortable purchasing this tank for

Given that was made after 1990 and you are in FL you should be able to get it filled. However, it would appear to be out of hydro. $50 offer, pay no more than $75 if in excellent condition. A Hydro/Visual will cost ya $25/$15 whereas new ~$150.

I was advised to never pay more than $25 for an out of hydro tank.

I was advised to never pay more than $25 for an out of hydro tank.

That's not realistic. What about a nice X7 100, or a LP85? Most people, myself included, would gladly pay $150 for one out of hydro. For an AL80, it's still too low as a generalization. I'd buy a 5 yr old catalina out of hydro any day for twice that.

Almost any reasonably-cared-for scuba tank with no visible corrosion inside is going to pass hydro; a few of the SP tanks seem to be a little less certain, but there is a new procedure I believe sanctioned by the DOT that should help. Hydros are maybe $20.....

Depend on the condition, I will say around $50 if condition is good. I won't buy it for $75. Around where I live, hydro costs $50 from dive shop. this lower the value of out of hydro used tank significantly.

What about a nice X7 100, or a LP85? Most people, myself included, would gladly pay $150 for one out of hydro.

Interesting that you compare X7-100 and LP85. Here, used X7-100 is hard to come by. Even if I find one, it will be upward of $200 with half hydro left. LP85 is hard to find too, but not as bad as X7-100. They go for about $150 with half hydro left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom