Altitude Diving Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RMAdventure

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a new diver in Colorado, every local dive I do will be an altitude dive. I'm also interested in diving some of the higher mountain lakes as they seem to have better visibility. I was talking to one of the divemasters between my OW dives and we were discussing some of the mountain diving in Colorado. I mentioned a lake that is at about 11,000' ASL and he dismissed it as being to high to dive.

That got me thinking, most of the altitude tables I have looked at top out at around 10,000' ASL. So does my Cobra. Although the altitude specialty is on my list to do, I haven't yet. Is there a maximum dive altitude for recreational diving? Does it become a technical dive above 10,000' ASL? Or do most people just never have an opportunity to dive that high?

It *should* be doable as a table dive with analog depth gauge and timing device. You just need to find the appropriate adjustment to add to the depth gauge to make it accurate. On the flip side, I would look at other computers and see if they go higher. I think there are few algorithms out there that can easily handle that altitude. Again, this is just speculation on my part my highest altitude dive to date is 3500ft.

Daru

P.S. also this altitude you should probably not use EAN to make the dive easier (At this altitude I would imagine there are too many variables to calculate for proper MOD and stuff)

It is dooable. In Colorado contact Underwater Phantaseas in Lakewood. 303-988-6725. uwphantaseas.com. Ask for Steve or Derek. Tell them Dennis sent you. They have a high lake outing every year out of Leadville, This year it's August 4 and 5 I think, and they would love to have you. Its a fun summer camping/diving deal with lots of giveaways - real party. Contact them. Get in some high mountain diving in good viz but pretty cold water. make some dive friends and buddies!
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom