Altitude and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any precautions or calculations which can be done for a dive trip which involves driving over hills higher than 1000 feet after a dive.

There really should be no problem with your trip across the 1000 ft elevation. Mountains above 3000 feet would cause you some concern. (Bruce Wienke)
For more information visit our site at http://www.scuba-doc/flyafdv.html .

There are commercial diving parameters that would fit to a certain extent, as follows:

For 'no-stop' dives with a total time under pressure of less than 60 minutes in the past 12 hours, an ascent to 2000 feet can be made after a 2 hour wait. A four hour wait should be taken if the ascent is to be to 8000 feet (commercial flying). All other air dives should wait 12 hours with less than 4 hours under pressure.

DAN flying after diving guidelines state:

a. A minimum surface interval of 12 hours is required before ascent in a commercial aircraft (8000 foot (2438 m.) cabin).

b. Wait an extended surface interval beyond twelve hours after daily, multiple dives for several days or dives that require decompression stops

c. The greater the diving the longer the duration recommended before diving.

The DAN recommendations are for sports diving and should not apply to commercial diving or nitrox diving. Because of the complex nature of DCS and because decompression schedules are based on unverifiable assumptions, there can never be a fixed altitude/flying after diving rule that can guarantee prevention of bends completely.

Best regards for safe diving!
Ern Campbell, MD
Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com/

Hello,

Well according to the USN diving manual you may have to wait up to 8 hours and 17 mins before ascending to 1,000 feet AFTER a dive.

Ed

My US Navy Manual (4th Edition) has a very concise table (9-5) on page 9-53 that shows that the amount of time required as a surface interval varies with the highest repetitive group designator obtained in the past 24 hours. There would be no wait for a 1000 foot rise up to an I group designator; J group - 1:32; K - 3 hours; L - 4:21; and soforth to 8:17 for a Z group designation. Few of us would ever be in designators higher than I and if so, would have a deco debt and then all bets would be off on ascents.

Ern Campbell, MD
scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://scuba-doc.com

Hello,

That is the exact same volume/page/figure/table I was refering to :)

This assumes certain things, like your profile must be ran under the usn tables.

BTW DAN told me to get the usn manual and follow the usn guidelines for flying after diving.

Ed

Literally thousands of Colorado OW students make the trek over Raton pass (8k feet) after diving Blue Hole in Santa Rosa New Mexico (4.5k feet, max depth 90 feet before altitude correction) every year (and end up descending to 6k minimum after the pass). I have yet to hear of a verifiable case of DCS from this practice (everyone has heard that “some guy in his sister’s friend’s class” got bent, but nothing verifiable).

In fact I’m sitting here at the terminal at 7,800 feet after diving at 4,500 feet this morning.

We just take it easy. Only one dive in the morning, shower, pack and head out an hour or two after the dive. In the first 1.5 hours of driving you ascend to 6,500 feet. We stop for lunch, then drive about another 1.5 hours, descending to 6,000 feet then ascending to 6,500 feet when we hit Raton, NM. In about 15 minutes we ascend the pass and then descend to Trinidad (6,000 feet). I end up outside Colorado Springs, in Black Forest at almost 8k feet when the day is done.

Done it dozens of times. No problem.

Roak

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Oh no! You took a shower right after you dove! :wink:

Mike
The risk of bends was less than the risk associated with two guys sitting in a stuffy car for five hours after wearing sweaty drysuit undergarments :)

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom