Alternatives to Hyperstretch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is interesting to hear. I bought a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch for a trip to Florida last fall, but the water was so warm that I never wore it. So, here it is a year later and of course it looks brand new. Dunno when I will get a chance to wear it (I use a drysuit when diving locally), but it's interesting to hear it's going to look like crap when I do. Can you tell me more about this "velcro effect" you talk about?

Thanks!
nd

Velcro sticks to the outside of a hyper like white on rice. When you go to pull the Velcro away it pulls the fibers out of the hyper, almost looks like the fabric is fraying at those spots. The butt area is also getting a scuffed look from sitting on chairs at the local quarry. Finally the shoulder areas are getting that same look from long walks to the beach and back, apparently cordura (on my BD) will also scuff the fabric.

FYI - You don't need to be certified to dive a drysuit.

Thanks for the correction, I still feel like I would want some instructional/practice time in a dry suit before trying to use it on vacation.

I dive a BARE 5mm Velocity. I don't know how it compares to the hyperstretch, but I love it! It is very easy to get on and I can wear it all day even in 90+ degree heat.

It has held up for more than a year. I use it almost exclusively as an instructor, doing 50+ dives a year. It doesn't have the velcro problem on the outside, but it does tend to stick to the inside. A little annoying, but it doesn't show on the outside.

Another vote for the Bare Velocity. I have the 7mm, works for me down to 55F or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom