alternative to Puerto Rico for Christmas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Cano Island... I highly recommend Mad About Diving for this location. Husband and wife operation that is really well run. Very communicative on email.

I am booked with Mad About Diving to Cano Island in December. I was unsure what to expect but this is good to hear.

I am booked with Mad About Diving to Cano Island in December. I was unsure what to expect but this is good to hear.

I think you're going to love it. They are not a very big operation, but have the equipment and expertise to make it a great dive.

What hotel did you choose?

Thanks! Costa Rica looks like a place we will have to go! I hope you will post a report when you return. :) I think I will put it on a list for another time however, as it looks difficult to get to, at the time we had planned, for one group member who is coming from SF. So now I am looking more closely at Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Hotel suggestions and dive ops to recommend there?

So now I am looking more closely at Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Hotel suggestions and dive ops to recommend there?

Without question, best all-around dive op is Dive Aventuras, as has been recommended previously.

In terms of hotels, we have been staying in condos for the past eight or so years, but the two we are familiar with are the Omni (right in the center of the compound) and the Catalonia (which is walkable to the marina area). Catalonia is All-Inclusive, and Omni (last we checked) was not.

I believe DA can give you some recommendations.

Have fun!

I think we would prefer not all inclusive, so we could check out various restaurants. We want to be on a beach, and would like a pool. A bar would be good. We don't want a Disney type experience just clean and comfortable. I know I am late to book for this time of year. (I booked Puerto Rico in June!) I know we will have to pay more at this point. Just trying to salvage our Christmas.

Last edited:
Without question, best all-around dive op is Dive Aventuras, as has been recommended previously.

In terms of hotels, we have been staying in condos for the past eight or so years, but the two we are familiar with are the Omni (right in the center of the compound) and the Catalonia (which is walkable to the marina area). Catalonia is All-Inclusive, and Omni (last we checked) was not.

I believe DA can give you some recommendations.

Have fun!

Mike at Dive Aventuras responded promptly with a condo idea or the Omni. Trying to figure out if a condo will work for us.
Thank you ibj40, for pointing me to them.

Thank you ibj40 (Jim?), Mike at Dive Aventuras, and all the folks on Scubaboard, for your help and advice. We are set now for the Omni PA, where Dive Aventuras has booked us for a little better deal than booking straight through the Hotel. :)

Dive Aventuras took great care of us! They booked the hotel and transfers, and took us diving. Great DMs, and all the staff were friendly and professional, at this very conveniently located dive shop! They are serious about doing the right thing to care for the environment, and to comply with the laws. The Omni was the right choice for us for Christmas time, and everything worked out wonderfully. The scuba diving was good, (although not great, we already knew it was not going to equal Coz or Little Cayman) but we enjoyed it, even though in some areas the corals were struggling, and showing the impact of pollution and a warming planet. The snorkeling off the beach at the Omni included a swim with a hawksbill turtle, and an octopus, out in the open in the daytime! Dive Aventuras hooked us up with Sandra for a couple private tours, and they were the highlight of the trip! We didn't need a rental car, we just took a taxi into Playa Del Carmen a couple times. This was a great trip which satisfied both the divers and non divers of our family! Thank you to ibj40 and everyone who posted in response to my questions! I <3 Scubaboard!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom