Alternative to divemaster internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggest you find a shop and/or instructors with whom you are comfortable and explain your goals. It might be a matter of hiring an instructor as a mentor. Or it could be Scuba Reviews. A Scuba Review has you repeat most skills from Open Water. You might find that one or two sessions is sufficient, and could couple that with a dive package for practice. GUE would improve your skills, but might require a change of equipment to BP/W.

Sorry, what is BP/W?

Diving and trying to help collecting garbage or building artificial reefs sounds cool too.

@boulderjon So GUE fundamentals is almost the same as the TDI Intro to Technical Diving?

Thank you all for you replies.

Seems like the best way to do this is to just chose a place where diving is cheap and there are lots of schools/good instructors and just go there and talk to people and try to get a good deal.

From what I read Koh Tao and Gili islands would fit? I have been in koh tao, so I think I prefer to go to a different places just so I see something different, but koh tao was nice, and the plane ticket is cheaper.

Roatan/Utila sounds nice too, but maybe too expensive? Maybe diving is better there?

Are there any other places like this?

Sorry, what is BP/W? ...
BackPlate and Wing - as opposed to conventional jacket-style Buoyancy Compensator.

Sorry, what is BP/W?

Diving and trying to help collecting garbage or building artificial reefs sounds cool too.

@boulderjon So GUE fundamentals is almost the same as the TDI Intro to Technical Diving?

Thank you all for you replies.

Seems like the best way to do this is to just chose a place where diving is cheap and there are lots of schools/good instructors and just go there and talk to people and try to get a good deal.

From what I read Koh Tao and Gili islands would fit? I have been in koh tao, so I think I prefer to go to a different places just so I see something different, but koh tao was nice, and the plane ticket is cheaper.

Roatan/Utila sounds nice too, but maybe too expensive? Maybe diving is better there?

Are there any other places like this?
Yup you can also check out Samui - I can PM contact info if interested

Sorry, what is BP/W?

Not completely, but there is significant overlap. One difference is that TDI Intro to Tech is truly designed to be an introduction, and so it does not require a full commitment to technical diving gear. GUE Fundamentals requires you to have the full complement of specific technical gear, which includes a back plate and wing rather than a traditional BCD.

Hello,

I recently finished my AOW openwater in thailand and I really like diving. I only have 13 logged dives.

I want to improve my dive skills, but I have no interest in becoming a pro, instructor or something like that. I just want to dive more and be better at it. I don't think I would be a good candidate for a divemaster with only 13 dives, even though it's possible with these "zero to hero" packages.

I thought about doing a divemaster internship because you can get packages with 2 months of unlimited diving. I think diving so much would really improve my divings skills. While I want to perfect my skills, like reg clean, mask clean, etc, I don't care about demonstrating it or leading other divers.

In some ways a place like Roatan or Utila might be mostly what you're looking for. I'm sure there are similar places in SE Asia. It is absolutely true that the cheapest way I know of to dive in the caribbean is to enroll in one of the DM internships in Roatan or Utila, that's exactly why I did my DM in Roatan. I also have no interest in working in the dive industry (I already have a job!) The good side is that you get daily diving in the caribbean for about $700 for a two month (or longer) period, plus cheap housing. The bad side is that you are expected to fill and carry tanks, clean up the shop, and of course you will have to study and participate in the aspects of the class you mentioned you have no interest in. Personally I enjoyed most of those things and did learn quite a bit, not always what was intended for us to learn, but useful information. It certainly dispels any illusions one might have about the dive industry!

So your idea is a good one, but you will have to accept the idea that you'll have to spend time doing things you're not particularly interested in or spend more money to just do fun dives without the responsibility of the DM class.

Expensive compared to what?

Roatan is on the Meso-American Barrier Reef so there's a lot of it just offshore. Some wreck dives, pretty much the biggest things we saw were grouper, barracuda, tarpon and turtles - lots of turtles. Some of the farther SE sites they'll see pods of wild dolphins also. Occasionally a Whale Shark wanders thru - Utila is famous for them. About the only sharks are at the paid shark dive and Anthony's Key has the dolphin programs. Both are pretty pricy, AKR gets about $140 for one dive with the dolphins. Both sides of the island are different due to topography, the north side can be blown out in winter and takes more of a beating - one of the wrecks is being slowly battered apart. The south side tends to be shallower and more macro focused but the dive operations there are limited to about 1/2 dozen AI dive resorts - most isolated somewhat. The West End is actually on the north side sort of to the west.

hth,

Back
Top Bottom