Alternative to divemaster internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdiver_

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently finished my AOW openwater in thailand and I really like diving. I only have 13 logged dives.

I want to improve my dive skills, but I have no interest in becoming a pro, instructor or something like that. I just want to dive more and be better at it. I don't think I would be a good candidate for a divemaster with only 13 dives, even though it's possible with these "zero to hero" packages.

I thought about doing a divemaster internship because you can get packages with 2 months of unlimited diving. I think diving so much would really improve my divings skills. While I want to perfect my skills, like reg clean, mask clean, etc, I don't care about demonstrating it or leading other divers.

But as I have no interest in becoming a pro, is there a better alternative? Is it normal for dive schools to offer some kind of Master Scuba Diver packages that include unlimited diving for 2 months like divemaster courses?

I looked at GUE Fundamentals but it's very expensive for just 4 days of training. And I also have no real interest in technical diving. 30-40m is deep enough. For the cost of GUE you can get a few specialities.

If it makes a difference, I am also more into SSI or any other agency than PADI, my OW is SSI and my AOW is PADI and I am really not happy with all the PADI fees and bureaucracy. Since I don't care about pro I guess I could avoid PADI?

So, my question is, is there a good alternative instead of the divemaster internship that includes so much diving?

Where would a good place to take that type of course be?

Thanks for your help.

If it makes a difference, I am also more into SSI or any other agency than PADI, my OW is SSI and my AOW is PADI and I am really not happy with all the PADI fees and bureaucracy. Since I don't care about pro I guess I could avoid PADI?

I have no idea what you are talking about as tot eh difference between these two agencies. Are you sure you aren't talking about the shop's fees and bureaucracy?

Pretty much all agencies offer a wide variety of specialty courses. You can take a course for just about any subject that interests you. When you take such a course, the instructor who teaches you will probably want to be paid for that service. You may also have to pay for the gas you breathe, boat fees, etc. All of those are local costs that have nothing to do with the agency. With some of those classes, there may be a book or other content involved, and those do come from the agency. These are usually not required to complete the course. I teach a lot of specialties for PADI, and in most cases, the only money that goes to them is a small charge for the certification card. There are no other agency fees involved, and the only bureaucracy involved is filing the paperwork for the card.

Reactions: RJP
I have no idea what you are talking about as tot eh difference between these two agencies. Are you sure you aren't talking about the shop's fees and bureaucracy?

Pretty much all agencies offer a wide variety of specialty courses. You can take a course for just about any subject that interests you. When you take such a course, the instructor who teaches you will probably want to be paid for that service. You may also have to pay for the gas you breathe, boat fees, etc. All of those are local costs that have nothing to do with the agency. With some of those classes, there may be a book or other content involved, and those do come from the agency. These are usually not required to complete the course. I teach a lot of specialties for PADI, and in most cases, the only money that goes to them is a small charge for the certification card. There are no other agency fees involved, and the only bureaucracy involved is filing the paperwork for the card.

What I mean is for example, the mail man read my name wrong on my PADI card envelope so it went back, so now I have to pay 40 EUR so get a new copy from PADI. With SSI I get a PDF on my phone I can show and that's it.

With SSI I could borrow a book from the shop and read online later. With PADI I have to pay extra for the book. If I have to pay why is not included in the price?

I am fine with PADI, just if they are equivalent I would prefer SSI.

Anyway, I didn't want to turn this into a discussion of what agency is better though.

Last edited:
Improving your skills can only be done by diving, nothing else ;-) Specialties from SSI or Padi will increase your knowledge. However, a GUE Fundamentals will teach you beter skills and will improve your diving a lot. More than specialties from SSI of PADI in my experience. As a bonus you will be Nitrox certified also.

Find a mentor and go diving.........

I would then suggest the GUE path. I know its expensive but once you are '"in" you will have more access to like-minded divers. I don't have any other answers for you.

You do not need to necessarily think within the constraints of an existing course. If you find a good instructor and tell them what you want to achieve you should be able to get some mentoring that can make you very good at different elements of diving but you just won't necessarily have a card that says so.

There could be an attraction in the DM courses as they offer lots of free diving in return for work based training. If it is lots of dives for a low price you want, is there some kind of package you can find somewhere over there that gives you unlimited diving for a prepaid figure? Over here in Grand Cayman, some places (like the one I work for) offer such deals.

For now man, just get diving. If you are serious about this then don't trick yourself in to feeling like there is a deadline.

Looks like there a quite a few dive shops in Berlin as well as local clubs.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?btn...Berlin+&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=8K5IVer7Cs3raLyYgPgO

Yeah but no sea. I am willing to travel around for a few months so I can do this and dive in the sea instead...

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 02:57 PM ----------

You do not need to necessarily think within the constraints of an existing course. If you find a good instructor and tell them what you want to achieve you should be able to get some mentoring that can make you very good at different elements of diving but you just won't necessarily have a card that says so.

There could be an attraction in the DM courses as they offer lots of free diving in return for work based training. If it is lots of dives for a low price you want, is there some kind of package you can find somewhere over there that gives you unlimited diving for a prepaid figure? Over here in Grand Cayman, some places (like the one I work for) offer such deals.

For now man, just get diving. If you are serious about this then don't trick yourself in to feeling like there is a deadline.

Yes this is what I am trying to find. Do you know any good locations where they would do this? I mean lots of included diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom