Alternative to DAN insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Additional info: years ago when I just started diving I purchased the DAN insurance coverage as the dive shop where I received my OW training claimed that DAN is the only insurance which would cover the cost of a hyperbaric chamber after an accident. I then started investigating the coverage under my credit card insurance and my work medical travel insurance. I contacted 2 credit card issuing companies of the cards I held at the time and they both told me the same thing: there is an exclusion under the CC policies for anyone participating in "extreme sports", however the exclusion only applies to professionals, not amateurs who occasionally participate in the sport. This is not limited to diving and goes for skydiving, rock climbing, ziplining, etc.
By the way, I am not questioning DAN insurance expertise or coverage. I just wanted to know if anyone else has a similar opinion or did similar research to mine.

An advantage of DAN appears to be that they coordinate logistics and payment with medical providers and, if needed, evacuation services and hyperbaric facilities, in real time as the incident unfolds. With medical insurance through a credit card, wouldn't you need to organize services yourself, pay upfront, and request reimbursement later?

It's also my understanding that the DAN insurance most of us are referring to is accident insurance, not general medical insurance. If you suffer some illness unrelated to an accident, you will want medical insurance. DAN travel insurance might provide general medical coverage.

Back
Top Bottom