Alternative Source for Fin springs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As a regular DIYer I'm always on the lookout for useful materials so I thought I'd just post this tip for an alternative source for fin springs.
I was in a sports shop this weekend and I was looking at some chest expanders on special offer in their annual sale. These were less than US$10 each and each came with 3 long spiral stainless springs. Each spring was long enough to make 1 pair.
I have paid much more in the past for individual springs.
Happy shopping.

miketsp:
As a regular DIYer I'm always on the lookout for useful materials so I thought I'd just post this tip for an alternative source for fin springs.
I was in a sports shop this weekend and I was looking at some chest expanders on special offer in their annual sale. These were less than US$10 each and each came with 3 long spiral stainless springs. Each spring was long enough to make 1 pair.
I have paid much more in the past for individual springs.
Happy shopping.
What exactly is a chest expander and what sports shop did you find this in?

cmgmg:
What exactly is a chest expander and what sports shop did you find this in?

I believe he is talking about the exercise devices with two handles and springs between them. Use one in each hand and get something pinched in the spring. Or do one arm curls with foot on one handle. Interesting idea.

I would be very surprised if they're stainless steel - there simply isn't any reason for a dry-land application like that to use the much more expensive stainless spring when they could simply use a regular non-stainless variety.

And trust me - you definitely want stainless, especially in and around salt water.

Description was quite right, two plastic handles with 3 long springs between them. One side also has foot loops for you to stick your feet into.

They definitely look like stainless steel. They're certainly not chromed.
I talked to the guy in the shop. He said he'd never heard of them rusting and remember that many people work up a good (salty) sweat while working out.
I already had a similar one which I hook on my treadmill and has had salty sweat dripped on it for some years. The springs are still perfect.

I'll tell you more in a few months. :wink:

Boogie711:
I would be very surprised if they're stainless steel - there simply isn't any reason for a dry-land application like that to use the much more expensive stainless spring when they could simply use a regular non-stainless variety.

And trust me - you definitely want stainless, especially in and around salt water.

Chromed springs are more expensive than SS springs nowadays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom