Alternate Octo vs Air2 for tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3rmzh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I realize this has been a subject of great debate but I have a fairly specific question regarding the issue and hoping this isn't too much of a re-cap

I have a OMS BC with IQ pack harness, it came with an Air2 attached to it but I also have a separate octo already on my reg setup.

I know the Air2 vs. octo thing has been fairly well debated but what I am asking is, if I eventually want to get into wreck diving and rescue diving would it be best for me just to keep the octo and switch out the air2 for a regular inflater?

I need to pick one or the other because whichever one I don't pick I am giving to a friend.

I haven't seen any tech divers with air2's and at least on these internet forums they seem to be frowned upon in tech circles. Usual reasons given (and you can decide for yourself the legitimacy) are:

1. Air2's are generally worse performers and less reliable than high end backup regs used by serious tech divers.

2. Less redundancy, different hose config. A lot of tech divers run the backup from the left post and the inflator hose from the right post for various reasons. With an air2 that would not be an option. And if both your seconds fail you could still in a pinch breathe out of your power inflator, except with an air2 that was your other failed second.

3. Possibly less streamlined. Many tech divers prefer short corrugated hoses, around 14" (this way it doesn't dangle or get in the way of deco bottles and such). For their backup reg many prefer a bungeed second under the chin, which doesn't hurt streamlining and is easy to find in an emergency. With an air2 you'd need a longer corrugated hose to be able to breathe it comfortably, maybe about 18" give or take. But then it would dangle past your left shoulder d-ring unless stowed some special way.

4. Arguably harder to find in an emergency than the bungeed backup. (Again this depends on how you stow the air2).

5. Arguably harder to use in an emergency.

6. Standardization and standard practices. For example, if you had to rescue a guy whose primary had failed and he had blacked out while on his air2, then it might be slightly trickier than bringing up a guy who blacked out on his bungeed backup because many people prefer to use the victims power inflator/deflator to control the ascent and that might be more difficult if it's in his mouth.

7. Non-standard hoses. (Though they do have adapters available).

Okay, that's what comes to mind. There may be other reasons, and I'm not saying all those are legitimate, you can judge for yourself.

:popcorn::popcorn::D

The Air 2 does require a fairly long hose to be effective and the current trend is to use a very short inflator hose on the wing.

It also does not really provide the same performance or flexibility as a long hose primary/bungeed octo configuration.

The only situation where it really makes sense is perhaps for a solo diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom