Alterations on a 7mm wetsuit? Sleeves are too tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNinja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Here's the situation: Brand new diver buys a brand new suit (on the web of course; brand new diver, remember?) so when this diver, who shall remain nameless, receives her suit in the mail, she finds that everything fits perfectly except the arms.

The junior seamstress in me says that gussets for the upper arms might be an option (depending on the opinion of my LDS; I'm pretty clueless as to how tight the wetsuit is actually supposed to fit or how much stress can be put on the seams if left unaltered) or possibly have zippers put on the wrists (because the wrists/forearms are where it fits the tightest, to the point where I have difficultly doing the 'grip and pull' inch-on method).

What I'm primarily concerned with, of course, is cost; I don't want to invest more into alterations than I did the wetsuit. Of lesser concern, but still key, is how much water will the zipper let in? Are there options you can choose to minimize any leakage? What about different types of zippers? (Any brands that you'd recommend I request?) I'm not interested in a do-it-yourself project, but I do want to be nice and informed when I go into my LDS and talk to the repair dudes.

Uhm. I mean. When I go into the LDS and talk to the repair guys FOR MY FRIEND. Yeah, my friend. Because I would *never* order something so expensive without trying it on first (but the price was still too good to return, even if it is too snug in the arms). :D

Call or email Chris at Terrapin Wetsuits, she does alterations and custom work. She added material to my wife's wetsuit, shortened the arms, as well as more zippers making an off the rack suit pretty much custom. She does awesome work and is pretty reasonable.

The wet suit should fit tight. I had problems in this area, too. I was ready for a nap after fighting my way into my wet suit. My issue was getting the calf and forearm in the suit.

I had Chris at Terrapin Wetsuits add new zippers to the wrists and replace the ankle zippers with much longer zippers. This solved my problems. She does great work.

Before you spend the money you should try all of the standard tricks. Suit juice, a 8:1 mixture of water and baby shampoo in a spray bottle. Spray the inside before you try to put the suit on. Another standard is to try inserting your arm in a standard supermarket plastic shopping bag then pushing your arm through your suit. Both will help it slide through.

Wet suits have to fit tight or they won't do their job. Generally, if you can get it on and move around it is not too tight. Talk to some local divers in your area if you are not sure. Most are happy to help a new diver.

Your suit shold fit with a hint of compression all over. After a dive it's a good sign if you can see the stitching imprinted in your skin. Meanwhile, it can't hinder your range of motion or respiration.

You should be able to roll it on or even punch into a sleeve IF you are dry. If you already got hot and sweaty some suit snot or other aid may be warranted.

If after all this you do deem the suit too small it may be something you can deal with but this may be an ambitious 1st project. Neoprene is a 3 dimensional material that is frist glued then stictched to form strong watertight seams. Getting neoprene materials in small quantites is not always easy and the cost will add up. Zippers will preferably be backed with a bellows water dam or at least a sealing flap. By the time you invest in materials, your time and take the risk of botching up a new suit one of the professional suggestions above are probably the best guidance. I think you can add Horizon Wetsuits to the list.

Pete

the baby shampoo/water combo really did the trick! After a few times (3-5) taking it on and off, I was able to get a perfect fit without the mixture... I may still consider getting zippers on the wrists though. Thank you for the advice everyone, it was really appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom