Alor ? Best of Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be going to Alor in either Aug. Sept or Oct of 2018 so will be following this thread -Any suggestions on which month would be best to go?
I don't have instagram but would love to see the pics that Wingy mentioned- any way to do that without instagram?
I am thinking I will go to Alor for one week and then somewhere else fairly easy to get to for another week - sounds like Kalamaya is maybe a good choice?
There will be about 6 or 7 of us and one gal does not dive- are there things for her to do on Alor and Kalamaya ?(or some other place, depending on where we end up going)

October is probably the best month in the year for Alor.
I'm afraid there is not much to do other than diving and resting on a beach in Alor (hghly recommend Alor Divers where at least the beach is good), on the other hand you could also couple Alor with Bali (that was my regular fare every year fior 3 years... for my sins? ).

Are you going to visit Bali this summer? Let me know and I might take a few days off with a visit to Padang Bai. charlie
Yep, as ....always, every year, last week of august+1st week of sep.

I wonder what conditions will be Alor or easternmost Sumbawa during the middle of the NE monsoon season? My experience with Alor is mostly early season and mid-summer.

I wonder what conditions will be Alor or easternmost Sumbawa during the middle of the NE monsoon season? My experience with Alor is mostly early season and mid-summer.
Some of my friends had an incredible time two years ago in October, lots of HH on multiple occasions, a thresher at Ruma Biru and a blue whale passing by the house reef on the return.
Of course they had the usual nudis, rhinopias and macro in numbers, more than you're able to point your stick at.

There will be about 6 or 7 of us and one gal does not dive- are there things for her to do on Alor and Kalamaya ?(or some other place, depending on where we end up going)

Both Alor and Kalamaya are in remote areas. Alor has a breautiful beach and wonderful snorkeling. No pool and poor internet service (if this is important). Kalamaya has a pool and is bit more upscale than Alor Eco Divers. It's hard to give advise, since some people love to sit on the beach or by a pool and others might want additional activities. FYI, both areas have nice muck diving. Currents are variable - strong currents are key for schooling fish and pelagics.

I'm afraid there is not much to do other than diving and resting on a beach in Alor (hghly recommend Alor Divers where at least the beach is good), on the other hand you could also couple Alor with Bali (that was my regular fare every year fior 3 years... for my sins? ).
I've been to Bali so was trying to find another destination to throw in with Alor - and am looking for a place that maybe isn't as remote as Alor- May just end up going back to Bali anyway-

Both Alor and Kalamaya are in remote areas. Alor has a breautiful beach and wonderful snorkeling. No pool and poor internet service (if this is important). Kalamaya has a pool and is bit more upscale than Alor Eco Divers. It's hard to give advise, since some people love to sit on the beach or by a pool and others might want additional activities.

A few of the places that the dive shop mentioned are Kupang, Bali, Komodo and Labuan Bajo- I don't know a thing about any of these places- I know I don't mind doing the beach thing for a few days but not for two weeks so would prefer to go somewhere that has more to do than just beach and diving- Maybe a place that offers tours and excursions!

I've been to Bali so was trying to find another destination to throw in with Alor - and am looking for a place that maybe isn't as remote as Alor- May just end up going back to Bali anyway-

Sue, I agree Bali is super easy, but Alor is beautiful and well worth visiting. From Denpasar, we take an early morning flight Kupang with a connecting flight to Alor. Pickup at the airport and 45 min drive to a speed boat that takes us to Pantar Island. You arrive at about 2pm. There are other resorts that have easier access, but we love diving from Pantar Island. The resort provides two dives per day, either two in the morning or one in the morning and another in the afternoon. You will have lots of time at the resort with your group. Non- diving guests can lay around on the beach, walk to little villages on either side of the resort, swim in the morning, and snorkel. You will not see any other bubbles, except from you small group.

Perhaps a good compromise - a week in Bali and a week in Alor.

Sue, I agree Bali is super easy, but Alor is beautiful and well worth visiting. From Denpasar, we take an early morning flight Kupang with a connecting flight to Alor. Pickup at the airport and 45 min drive to a speed boat that takes us to Pantar Island. You arrive at about 2pm. There are other resorts that have easier access, but we love diving from Pantar Island. The resort provides two dives per day, either two in the morning or one in the morning and another in the afternoon. You will have lots of time at the resort with your group. Non- diving guests can lay around on the beach, walk to little villages on either side of the resort, swim in the morning, and snorkel. You will not see any other bubbles, except from you small group.

Perhaps a good compromise - a week in Bali and a week in Alor.
Thanks charlier~
I actually AM going to Alor for a week no matter what. Just looking for another destination close by and easy to get to from Alor to throw in on the vacation. Since I have already been to Bali I was thinking it might be fun to check out another spot- If nothing else works....THEN I'll go back to Bali for the second week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom