Alor ? Best of Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Luko, where would you venture for big fish action. Thanks for that WINGY my scuba wife who i have never met from the other side of the planet !!

LOl..it is all so subjective - I've had big fish sharky action around Milne Bay - Psssst scuba husband from afar - diving around Madagascar last year I heard of a place that's accessible a few times of the year at may fit "our" style of diving I think....PM me :wink:

I've seen photos that hold some promise...just waiting on actual I just got home conversation.

If you want to see big fish in Indonesia, go dive in Big Fish Country (The Channel) in Nabucco, Maratua Atol, East Kalimantan to see schooling Barracuda

Or to Banda Sea for schooling hammerheads:

Cool, thanks for that, is that Alor then or the Banda Islands ? Are both places easily accessible from Ambon ? I wouldn't to to Kalimantan just for the Barracuda, RA can deliver on that.

Yet another option is a new resort in east Sumbawa, Kalimaya Dive Resort. The resort is close to Gili Banta, westernmost Komodo Islands, Sangean volcano, and dives sites on the eastern coast of Sumbawa.

LOl..it is all so subjective - I've had big fish sharky action around Milne Bay -

I found Milne Bay pretty darn sharky too... and diving the Japanese wreck Toa Maru, surface interval-ing on Kennedy Island with spicy tuna fried rice, then diving a bottomless shark/nudi infested wall near Gizo in the Solomon's was a pretty amazing day...

...but what do I know?

kennedy-island-big.jpg

Banda Sea last year did not deliver on the Hammerheads - not just my viewpoint on Hammerheads and Manuk and Lease Islands but also heard same sentiments from people on three other Banda Sea LOBs.

Overall big fish action was very disappointing. A small school of hammerheads on one dive, sea snakes were fun, a thresher and then just the odd hammerhead all the rest of the trip. Not entirely sold on the water temp being the reason - perhaps the massive industrial endless longline I pulled in (as much as I could) stretching Kms could also be a factor.

Wingy - same same for us in the Banda Sea. Southern Raja Ampat and the small atolls east of Cerman offered outstanding diving, farther south towards Manuk et al., big fish were a bit sparse. I agree that over fishing might be a factor. It's seems that Autumn is a better season for big fish and hammerheads in the Banda Sea. Perhaps is worthwhile traveling elsewhere.

So, the last year El Niño has nothing to do with it? OK - noted. I'll just have to see this coming November, as I'll be in Banda then.

I've had big fish sharky action around Milne Bay

I found Milne Bay pretty darn sharky too...
...but what do I know?

Oh yeah, really : which part or spots? Was that accessible from a resort or on a liveaboard? Would you recommend anyone Milne bay for the profusion of big fish?
Personnally getting back from my only trip to Milne bay which doesn't make me an expert apart from scattered barracuda schools and some jacks, may be I saw a couple of whitetip sharks and that's it. No silvertips, no hammerheads, no threshers, nothing else... Mantas, yes but some hours away from the resort.
Hearing too from Tawali's inhouse dive instructor, 20 years diving in PNG, she told me Milne bay is not the place for big or schools of fish.
What does she know?

(Anyway, to each their own view, I was also told on this board by an "expert" that Milne bay was only good for muck. Well well well...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom