Aloha from Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c_star

Registered
Reaction score
After living here for a few years I finally went and got dive certified and I love it! It took me so long to do it because I didn't have anyone to dive with since my husband is not interested in diving. So now that I'm certified I have to find some buddies!

I am of course a total newbie at this point having only done my certification dives, but I really enjoyed it and can't wait to get some more time in the water.

Any tips for how to find buddies would be appreciated :)

Ask around at the dive shop where you certified. They may know of other divers looking for a buddy.

When you go out on dive boats, tell the others that you are looking for a shore dive buddy. There may be visiting divers that would like to do shore dives if they could find a buddy.

I've taken several visitors out on shore dives. Sometimes I've sent them a PM when they've posted that they are looking for buddies. Some have just sent me a PM after they notice my profile says "Maui". Your post may lead to some visitors that want to buddy up for shore dives. It might help to specify if you are looking to dive West Maui, South Maui or both.

There are lots of certified divers on-island that aren't active. Loudly proclaim your newly certified diver status to your neighbors and co-workers. You may be surprised to find out who is also certified and just needs a little nudge to dig out the dive gear.

There are also lots of retiree divers that are on-island during the winter. For example, I shore dive at least a couple times per week from January through March. Usually solo, but sometimes with a newly diver who got her certification last year, just before returning to the mainland in June. Like you, her husband is not interested in diving. She is on Maui November through May.

I'll send a PM with some more info.

Welcome to the 'board!!!

Looks like you found your local 'Ohana forum...that is the best place to find a bunch of new dive buddies...dive on in and enjoy!!!! Dreaming about my next trip to Maui in May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom