Aloha from Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan Starr

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings friends,

I just joined the board, and I am lucky to live on Maui, where there are some great dives. I recently got certified, though I've been freediving for decades and had an intro scuba class as a youth with Lloyd Bridges at a Catskill Resort about 35 years ago (hi).

Aloha Nui Loa,

JOnathan

Welcome to the board Jonathan,
Greetings from New Zealand.Here the hello is Kia ora.
I was last in Maui in 75 and would like to get back there soon.I'm off to Korea in 2 weeks for a 3 month hitch as an Instructor and then head over to canada where I will hook up with Dive-gal(another diver on this board)for some diving and catching up with family and then down to Fiji for a weeks diving on the way back through the South Pacific as I return home. Any questions you have throw them out for the gang to answer.
Haere Ra
Greg (kelekoleo in Hawaiin)
Alias the Gasman

Thanks Gasman,

Have a great trip & workstay.

We were in Fiji & NZ two winters ago, on a great trip. We drove a campervan from Auckland down south, and spent a week on a steel sailing vessel cruising aorund Fjordland. It was incredible to be in the water with seals, dolphins and red & black coral less than 30' down. That trip was before I got certified, and now we'll just have to go back to burn some tanks and see it for real.

We're off to Japan in October, and will stop in Micronesia on the way for two weeks of diving. Trying to decide where to stop.

Aloha,

JOnathan

I Know what you mean.This place is like no other in the world and the diving is awesome.The Poor Knights is my local stomping ground and old Jacques rated it as one of the 10 best dives in the world.When you get back here you can't miss it.If you can get to 'Tye Dye Arch' then you will rate it as the best dive you have EVER done.I get out with diving tourists all the time and they get out of the water blathering like idiots..."Did ya see....?"
You gotta love the opportunities that diving opens up to you socialy and internationaly.People always open up and most divers you meet become instant buddies.I reckon it's a great universal magnetic influence on people.Blah blah blah..as I'm prone to do.I love this sport.
If I get the chance I may try a side trip to Japan myself as it's only across a small sea,but the dive group I will be with will probably want me to be running about like a blue-arsed fly for 24/7.Gotta go.The Gasman

Jonathan ,

Welcome to the boards.....I just recently or not to long ago more like..just came from Maui. We went there for Christmas and dove Molokini for my birthday. What a great place to go diving. Well I wish you luck and hope to here some stories.

Aaron

:cool:

Hafa Adia! (Chamorro/Guam Aloha)

I can't personally recommend much outside of Guam (I don't get a chance to travel because of my job--but at least I see what's on island). I can give ou second hand recommendations (like Yap) if you like. And anything you want to know about Guam, just ask me. Take care.

Caron

Thanks for the welcome, Aaron, and I would love to hear a bit about Guam divimg, Caron. I am on the Disaster Medical Assistance Team HI-1, and I just missed going over after the KAL crash. Most of what I've heard about Guam came from my teamates who went.

Aaron, I was at Molokini on Saturday afternoon for a beautiful dive, even though the ocean was really romping, but conditions below were fabulous and there wasn't a single other boat, other than my Glacier Bay, over there. Last night I went for an early night dive at the Ahihi preserve. I love to surface swim out a ways and watch the sunset, and then sink down and meander back on the bottom. It's a great way to get a relaxing end to a hard day of work and hassle.

Aloha,

JOnathan

Hey there Jonathan welcome to the boards. Lucky you to live on Maui. I've been there on more than a few trips, but it's gotta be great to live there!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Thanks for the welcome, Mario.

Maui is the best place I've ever lived, but it's funny how easy it is to become prioritized and too busy for the good stuff even in "paradise". I struggle to find time to dive and get out on my boat or play music or just goof off and enjoy the place, which are the reasons I live here.

Give a holler if you get out here again.

ALoha,

JOnathan

Hi Jonathan!

My husband and I just got back from Maui in May. I have to say I was truly impressed. We stayed in Wailea, and travelled to Lahaina.

We found a lonesome beach close to Wailea called Maalea beach (I'm sure this is very familiar to you), and I have to say it was one of the most captivating sights I've ever seen.

I really hope Maui remains under-commericalized and under-populated for a long time.

Please go to Mama's Fish House and have a banana cobbler for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom