Almost got lost in the Current - long read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I'd chime in on this since I dive Catalina so frequently and have certainly experienced a few situations like yours.

The strong currents that develop out here are often related to the tide changes, especially during major vertical fluctuations associated with new and full moon. Of course there are other currents as well as Rick and Dave have mentioned above, and strong surface currents can kick up due to the effect of strong winds. The changes are often very sudden here, and may involve a complete 180 degree reversal of current direction. The dissected shoreline of the island (points and inlands along with the orientation relative to prevailing currents which tend to be NW to SE) also creates local eddies and other irregularities which can make interpreting current a bit difficult at times.

Of course any time the kelp is totally submerged, one can assume one of several things including (a) the fact that there is a strong current pulling it down and horizontal, parallel to the bottom (a sign the crew should be able to see) or (b) a strong El Nino condition in which the surface canopy has died off due to thermal stress.

I've had two experiences out here where I've had to do what you did (fortunately with much more gas in my tanks, but once I had drained my primary tank). The difference between my incidents and yours is primarily related to the captain and crew of the dive boat (King Neptune) I dive with.

First, the fact your tank was filled to 1,700 psi is a major crew-related error... unless they acknowledged in the briefing that there was a compressor or other problem and the tanks were not full.

Second, the fact that they did not have a current line already deployed amazes me. It takes relatively little time to do so, and our dive boat almost always has one... if not two... current lines out in anticipation of this.

Third, if the crew was observant, they should have been aware of the strong current and anticipating potential problems. It does not sound like they were from what you have said.

Based strictly on your account (which I have no reason to doubt, but am surprised any SoCal liveaboard boat would be so ill-prepared and unattentive), I would never board that boat again.

In some cases where I've encountered these strong currents, they were primarily a bit offshore. By staying close to the kelp and associated reef, the current may be slower and broken up a bit, allowing you to swim in the direction of the boat with much less effort then start your open water "crossing" from up current.

The improper fill on your tanks was certainly a big factor here, as was the lack of apparent crew anticipation and readiness. Sorry you had a bad experience. I'd be curious as to the identity of the boat if you're willing to PM me.

We experienced this, diving the Spiegel Grove. The whole dive was beautiful viz and no current at all, and then during the safety stop, hanging onto the anchor line, all of us were suddenly perpendicular to it. It was amazing how fast and how hard it sprang up!

In Key Largo, my wife and I were diving the Duane, and the current was RIPPIN'!!

Check out the bubbles and my hair. It was seriously bad enough that from the anchor line, we dropped straight down and then kicked like mad, up-current, and then stopped and grabbed onto pieces of the wreck, or else we were going to get swept away in seconds flat.
24a0ffb7b0c2.jpg

That's what I thought I remembered. I know reading about the Atlantic wrecks, the point is made over and over again that it can be calm one moment, and ripping the next, which is NOT how tidal currents behave.

I don't know about the Atlantic (there's a max of only about a foot of tide here in Belize) but in the Philippines (2+ meter tides) it does go from calm to ripping within minutes around full and new moon. Maybe there's more of a slack time or delay in Puget Sound?

Windwalker,
Try one of these liveaboards on your next trip to So Cal.

Truth Aquatics Truth Aquatics - About Us

or

Horizon Charters Horizon Charters: Baja and California Eco & Dive Adventures

The one thing I like about Horizon Charters is I can fly into San Diego Airport (SAN) and then it's less than a 10 minute Taxi ride to the boat.

The King Neptune that DR Bill speaks of is a day boat and you can get some very affordable hotel/dive packages with them thru Catalina Scuba Luv Scuba Luv Home Diving the Marine Park is something you won't want to miss and you can do that the day you arrive if you get there early enough. If you get there in the afternoon you can still squeeze in a night dive.

I've been on the Horizon many times and dove with Scuba Luv on the King Neptune and can personally vouch for them. I have not been on any of the Truth Aquatics boats but they have a great reputation and have been around for a long time.

Please, do as others have suggested and do not go back on that other boat. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Semper Fi and Happy Diving!

In Puget Sound, currents can build quickly on days of large exchanges and in areas which are current-sensitive, but it's not from one minute to the next that it goes from nothing to ripping. And although the currents aren't perfectly predictable, you can pretty much know whether a given day is going to be one for big currents or small ones.

We experienced this, diving the Spiegel Grove. The whole dive was beautiful viz and no current at all, and then during the safety stop, hanging onto the anchor line, all of us were suddenly perpendicular to it. It was amazing how fast and how hard it sprang up!

In Key Largo, my wife and I were diving the Duane, and the current was RIPPIN'!!

Check out the bubbles and my hair. It was seriously bad enough that from the anchor line, we dropped straight down and then kicked like mad, up-current, and then stopped and grabbed onto pieces of the wreck, or else we were going to get swept away in seconds flat.
24a0ffb7b0c2.jpg

I was just there in Nov and the conditions were excellent. There was nada on the Grove and we had a lttle bit going back to the ascent line on the Duane but were able to make a complete tour on a single tank. One sad note though, I enquired about a resident Bull Shark that lived near the Duane and was sorry to learn that an irresponsible spearfisherman shot and killed it. There is a reward out for information to find the culprit. When I was a new diver, that was my first shark encounter ever so I was really disappointed to learn that I would never see it again. :( This is not a flame on spearfisherman because I have many friends that like to spearfish and obey the laws.

I'd love to go back and dive it with little or no current. It's a beautiful wreck and had lots of gorgeous fish hanging around. Sad to hear about the sorry jerk that killed the shark. That's just wrong... That would be like killing the giant grouper than hangs out on the C53 in Cozumel. Hrmph...

That is a real cool picture, It looks like the side of your face is getting taken off by the current. I have not experienced something THAT powerful yet, but when we did our 100+ foot current dive, we were hanging off the anchor chain like flags in a storm. Again, Awesome picture.

Jim Kerr, I have heard of Truth Aquatics, I am planning a dive trip with them in October. I hear they have a very nice outfit.

Dr. Bill. Your right! the tanks were to small for me. The captain chose the crew because they were Nubile females who looked good, not because they knew a darn thing about diving or how to crew a boat.

It was the only one we took on that dive. I quickly handed off the camera to my wife. She snapped the pic with one hand, the other, hanging onto the wreck. She handed the camera off to me and I zipped it into my cummerbund pouch. I think the Duane is 80', and we were diving Rule of Thirds. It was a rather brief dive. LOL

Jim Kerr, I have heard of Truth Aquatics, I am planning a dive trip with them in October. I hear they have a very nice outfit.

Truth is a real class act; as good as their dive op is, where they really shine is the grub: fresh, hot cooked meals like tri-tip steak, marinated chicken, roast turkey, and homemade biscuits...the food alone is almost worth the price of admission!

Back
Top Bottom