Almost empty tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giladshay:
What we're talking about is on the posibility that some of the dirt will have an interaction with the air, and become to gas too. Maybe it doesn't have any taste, so can't feel it. While tank is full- no problems, since its presency is neglectible, but when the tank is getting empty- the gas starts to be more & more significant.

If there's anything in your tank besides fresh air, you need to get it clenaed and find a better place to get your fills.

Empty or full makes no difference, although if you have actual bits of crud in the tank, turning it upside down while breathing might be a problem.

Terry

giladshay:
Maybe I should modify the question, since I see digress:

What we're not talking about: Not talking about particles which went through filters, or buddy will not be able to help me, etc...

What we're talking about is on the posibility that some of the dirt will have an interaction with the air, and become to gas too. Maybe it doesn't have any taste, so can't feel it. While tank is full- no problems, since its presency is neglectible, but when the tank is getting empty- the gas starts to be more & more significant.

Nope.

Dave

Can someone explain to me why having a lower pressure in the tank will cause faster rusting? Or am I reading RonFrank's post wrong?

I would assume that the oxidation reaction would happen faster at a higher pressure, all other variables remaining the same.

giladshay:
As well known, tank accumulates dirt via time.
How is that "dirt" getting into the tank? I own 6 tanks and none of them have accumulated any dirt inside them in the 4 years I have owned them. My steel tanks may get a bit of flash rust and the aluminum tanks may get a little oxidation, but no dirt.

JahJahwarrior:
Can someone explain to me why having a lower pressure in the tank will cause faster rusting? Or am I reading RonFrank's post wrong?

I would assume that the oxidation reaction would happen faster at a higher pressure, all other variables remaining the same.

It won't. The only issue is zero pressure in the tank can allow humidity to enter the tank. Any water in the tank will facilitate rust development.

Dave

Teamcasa:
It won't. The only issue is zero pressure in the tank can allow humidity to enter the tank. Any water in the tank will facilitate rust development.

Dave

Ok, seemed to me it was suggested that storing a tank at 500 psi would make it oxidize faster than 3000 psi.

My answer to the humidity/water issue is that it only applies if the valve is left open. I would think a tank bled down to 15 psi, when the surrounding air is 14 psi, and shut off, if the valve was a perfectly sealing valve (I know that one of my tanks leaks some air from the oring at the neck of the valve, something like that would eventually cause the tank to equalize with the air, then contiminants could enter from the environment) and if the tank had no impurities introduced by the compressor, etc, that it would stay humidity free for forever.

Am I wrong? At what pressure could/would/has water entered a tank before, water from the environment, not from a bad compressor or something like that.

JahJahwarrior:
Ok, seemed to me it was suggested that storing a tank at 500 psi would make it oxidize faster than 3000 psi.

I doubt it but have no actual proof.

JahJahwarrior:
My answer to the humidity/water issue is that it only applies if the valve is left open. I would think a tank bled down to 15 psi, when the surrounding air is 14 psi, and shut off, if the valve was a perfectly sealing valve (I know that one of my tanks leaks some air from the oring at the neck of the valve, something like that would eventually cause the tank to equalize with the air, then contiminants could enter from the environment) and if the tank had no impurities introduced by the compressor, etc, that it would stay humidity free for forever.

I agree, no leaks and any positive pressure will prevent any atmospheric contaminants from entering the tank.

JahJahwarrior:
Am I wrong? At what pressure could/would/has water entered a tank before, water from the environment, not from a bad compressor or something like that.
Any tank pressure less than atmospheric pressure will allow air in the tank. Seals and not under any pressure may also allow air into the tank.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom