almost died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

punisher:
now I'm being told 15ft doesn't give me DCS?the reason I worried about DCS is because so many times on this board I read that no matter what depth you dive, always do a safety stop before finishing the dive so as to avoid DCS...guess they were wrong then?
I learned from this and posted it so that maybe others will learn too

thanks for your replies. and to you solo divers, sorry I gave others ammo against you

But 15 ft is the depth you normally do your safety stop at. At what depth would you do a safety stop from a 15ft dive? As for solo diving, I wouldn't do it but I know plenty of people who are certified to solo dive, have a lot of experience and redundant EVERYTHING, not just air supply. I would never knock them for diving solo. It's just not for me.

Glad you are alive and able to post. It appears that you have identified many of the issues you were dealing with, though I would think your conclusions in regards to them is off.

Before you go to a redundant air system, you need to get comfortable with your current set-up. Really. The more gear you have, the more you have to remember where and what's it's used for: it's called task loading. Get familiar and efficient with your current set up before you add to it. One way to remember where your safe second is located, is to take a breath on it on every dive.

Now train yourself to think through all of the possible mishaps you might encounter on a dive and walk your self through their resolution. This includes, Reg out, OOA, entanglement, missed exit, well you get the picture. This will prime your mind to deal with the eventual OOL (Out Of Luck) situations.

PS, It takes a great deal of confidence, training and attention to detail to dive solo. You probobly should determine if you are indeed ready for it BEFORE your next attempt. Dive safe!

As well as practicing switching to the air2, you might want to try both switching to it and doing a controlled ascent, since you won't be able to do the hold-hose-over-your-head bit.

Another thing that I do is switch to my Shadow+ (similar to an air2, in that it's on the inflator hose) simultaneous with a mask removal. I think of it as practice for getting kicked in the face by a fin.

Good luck!

Punisher,
Why do you want to dive solo ? Your buddy is your extra air source when the **** hits the fan but as importantly is another brain to help out on a dive and share the experience.

Remember those that see solo diving as ok are (largely) self-sufficient with extra equipment and are able to cope with scenarios such as yours. That said from your post it reads to me that you were concerned about DCS - at 15ft you won't get bent - even if you did get bent it can be treated ie from an ascent to a 15ft stop- drowning on the other hand is, well, a bit final.

The dive gods were smiling on you - get some more training in, particularly dive physics. BTW I've had a real OOA and I can tell you from experience that nothing tastes sweeter than a buddys breathing gas. Of course if your buddy isn't in the water ...

Punisher, you did not give your maximum depth or bottom time, so no one really knew if you were at risk of DCS. Apparently, you did not do a safety stop, yet you were at 15 feet BEFORE the incident occurred, so it seemed like this was perhaps your max depth and early in your dive.

You are confusing DCI with DCS. DCI includes DCS AND lung overexpansion injuries - yet again something else you should know from O/W. The two types of injuries are grouped together under DCI because in an emergency situation, they are treated the same way: to have the patient lie down and receive oxygen.

Holding your breath and then doing an uncontrolled ascent ("started swimming up fast as I could") can put you at risk of DCI, but it is unlikely from 15 feet.

As for giving ammo against solo divers: I don't believe you really did, because what you did is not really solo diving, it's just diving alone unprepared. A solo diver should have the training, equipment, expertise, and experience to back him/her up. You have none of these.

uhm.. one note.. well two of 'em
1) replace the air2 with a decent second stage regulator. Those things are.. well junk.
2) It took a great deal of courage to post your incident here and you're taking the criticism and pointers quite well.

Dive safe!!

Something else to add to the mix--you might want to practice alternate reg retrieval methods--such as reaching back to your tank valve and following the hose from the first stage to the second.

IMHO continuing diving means continuing training. We can all benefit from additional training and supervision.

Randy43068:
uhm.. one note.. well two of 'em
1) replace the air2 with a decent second stage regulator. Those things are.. well junk.

Dive safe!!

Why do you say that his Air2 is junk? To me junk implies that something doesn't work and falls apart. But I haven't heard this about the Air2 (SP in particular). It may not be someone's preferred secondary but does that make it junk? Or are you saying it's junk because it doesn't work and won't supply the needed air?

all of the above. They're tuned to prevent freeflowing which makes them breathe harder and won't deliver air well at depth. Not a good thing for an already stressed recretional diver. A tech I know who works on them, says they're of poor quality. I trust his word as he's a master instructor, cave instructor and equipment tech.

Anytime the inflator is used for something other than inflation/deflation is going to be problematic for an already stressed diver. Make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom