Allowing Certified Diver to join in Scuba Class with SO / Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nothing is always perfect in diving. I always encorage SO to join the class. That also lets me know how effective an instructor I am. If and Instructor can't handel a additional diver in a pool or on a checkout dive how can you give a diver a card and say go dive? When conditions go south how well will your student handel themselves? I have always taught that way and sometimes the SO turns out to be able to demonstrait the what not to do skills and the I have the chance to make a better diver out of them as well.

Try it Its more fun than a hassel and you might learn something about yourself.

I was an open water student in a class where there was a woman getting certified with her certified SO. In an attempt to give her some variety in her buddies, the instructor partnered her with me for pool session three. About 15 minutes before the end of the hour session, my "buddy" was on the other side of the pool with her SO not paying attention to me when the faulty J-valve on my tank decided to reserve 800psi on me and not let me have the rest. I got to teach myself how to do a CESA, and decided that self sufficiency is a good thing, and was not terribly impressed with the SO participating in a class idea.

As a DM IT, I have had instructors allow this to happen in their classes, but they lay out ground rules, and there have been no associated problems. I gave a scuba review to a OW diver at the same time that their BF was doing a MOD 5 in the same pool, but because they were so far apart it wasn't a problem.

I would think that keeping people occupied on the training and away from problematic influences would be the biggest concern

I was able to be my (then) wife's dive buddy when she got OW certified. She did it three months after I did ... with the same instructor.

When we asked if it would be OK, he said there were two rules that I had to agree to ...

1. I do not "help" her with anything, unless he tells me to.
2. I do not attempt to "teach" her anything ... that's his job.

It was difficult at times to stifle the urge to be "helpful" ... but it worked out pretty well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was able to be my (then) wife's dive buddy when she got OW certified. She did it three months after I did ... with the same instructor.

When we asked if it would be OK, he said there were two rules that I had to agree to ...

1. I do not "help" her with anything, unless he tells me to.
2. I do not attempt to "teach" her anything ... that's his job.

It was difficult at times to stifle the urge to be "helpful" ... but it worked out pretty well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That seems like a great idea and it makes sence, you will be diving with this person so you might as well practice if you can so you will both know how to help each other should something happen, and would make for a fun story to tell people. And I totally agree with what many of you said about laying down the rules. Anyone who would go agaisnt the Instructor for sure does not belong in their Pool.

Thank you all again for your input on my question :D

I was the SO just recently in the pool with my fiance when she was getting her OW cert...since she would be my primary buddy i asked if they would be ok with me joining the class. I was just a silent observer until we did buddy skills and then we practiced together. She said she was more relaxed just with me being in the pool there with her and it also was a nice refresher for me (and nice to blow some bubbles after an unusually cold and snowy winter. I was also her buddy for the open water dives, and I paid for those as well so as to not have the shop lose money since i was taking a spot on their dive...all in all i think it worked out to be a good experience for all, and allowed my SO and I to get acquainted to each other as divers...

Hello,

I am pretty new here and I really love this board and find it very informative. I have a question and wanted to get your thoughts. Were you able to join your significant other or buddy when they got certified even though you were already certified? Example Boyfriend is scuba certified and Girlfriend wants to get certified and asks to be the GF’s partner in the pool and is willing to pay a fee to the dive shop to do it, no teaching by the already certified diver, just being their partner, teaching is what the Dive Instructor is for. I thought it would be a good idea seeing that you would be diving with that person and you could learn together and look out for each other when you are diving and if anything should happen how to help each other. I am curious how some of you feel about that and especially if you are a dive shop owner have you had this brought to you by customer.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. :D
M

I allow it all the time but the certified diver counts toward my ratio numbers and I become responsible for the diver's safety even though they are previously certified as a diver by another instructor.

This has gone to court and won in the favor of the certified dive buddy.

I have discussed this with my SSi Dive Rep and have received the same information I am passing on. Check with your agency to determine theier S & P's on this situation.

Ona side note if the divers are going to be buddies after the class why not let them practice/learn/grow together as a dive team.

Just my 2 cents

As an instructor, I have a strict policy of keeping the certified SO, family member, or friend away from the class.
1. The certified person is usually not a Professional diver (Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, or Instructor) yet they can often act like the teacher and show the student how to perform their skills.
2. The Certified person becomes a liability that the instructor is responsible for and must watch...which can take the necessary attention away from the students.
3. many new divers act differently and may not ask questions so as not to look like a fool to their certified friends
4. Many new divers get very apprehensive having someone they know looking over their shoulder while trying to learn the skills or perform skills in the ocean.

Basically, I always recommend that even though you are certified, let your S.O., friend, or family member learn unhindered and without distraction so that they can learn the skills that they need to be the best dive buddy you can have. Do them a favor and yourself and stay away while they learn...then join them for the dives after they finish.

Once certified, they can join you on other dives like the AOW or specialty classes.

I encourage it. When my wife got certified, I re-took the class and am glad I did.
This is what I did when my wife got certified.

In a regular class I think it's a bad idea.

If the BF is open minded and prepared to learn, a private class for the two of them may be the best thing that ever happened to both thier diving careers.
And we did take a private class, which was a great experience for my wife. I enjoyed it too, but preferred the somewhat competitive atmosphere of my original group training.

It seems like a lot of people have a lot of ego invested in their scuba diver identity. I don't. (I mean, I do have a lot of ego, it's just invested in other things--my extraordinary good looks, for example.:D) For those who do, accepting trainee status might be an obstacle that would interfere with the training.

While I've allowed it I'm curious about the instructors who won't. Would you allow the certified wife to join her student husband if it appeared she'd look good in a bathing suit?

I have allowed certified SO's to join or watch in water with various results. For the most part have had no serious issues. None any different than 2 SO's as new students where one is more comfortable or stronger than the other. I find you must make it very clear that you are the only instructor in the class and are IN Charge.

One thing to be aware of is that if they accompany the class they become part of the in water teaching ratio for training purposes (at least with PADI and most likely for lawsuits should the unthinkable happen). And at the very least should (must with me) sign the same liability releases!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom