Alligator attack - Myakka River, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upload_2021-6-1_10-20-50.png

If I read the entry properly, the blue part is the water during the miocene period.

Polk County, Florida paleontological sites - Wikipedia
The Miocene ( /ˈmaɪ.əˌsiːn, ˈmaɪ.oʊ-/ MY-ə-seen, MY-oh-[6][7]) is the first geological epoch of the Neogene Period and extends from about 23.03 to 5.333 million years ago (Ma).

I guess technically that means we could dig in our backyard and find fossils....

I know that, I mean why there? The Myakka River has one of the highest concentrations of gators of any waterbody in FL.

The peace river is where all the good stuff is. I've never heard of anyone looking for artifacts in Myakka. Maybe he can try Lake Jessup when he gets out of the hospital.

A mammoth discovery: Divers find ice age bones in Florida
Lots of folks dive with gators and think it isn't a big deal.. see Pete's post for an example.

Not me. Gators and Barracuda are on my personal most feared species list. Sharks? I'll dive with sharks all day long. Barracudas are always looking at you with one beady little eye just deciding where the tastiest morsel might be found. They plot and plot and circle you when you're diving. Evil little buggers... and Gators, they got no respect.. that's a hard no. I think the only reason more divers don't get bit is that most divers prefer deep water and gators tend to hang out in shallower water much of the time.

A full grown Gator will crush your little Skull....
I guess he got lucky there. An adult's skull is probably the most difficult bone in the body to crush altho he did incur a skull fracture.

Now this girl was foolhardy! Teen shoves bear that swatted family dog in California yard
You gotta see that clip. I think I would have sacrificed any dog stupid enough to attack a sow with cubs who had the high ground at that.

I guess he got lucky there. An adult's skull is probably the most difficult bone in the body to crush altho he did incur a skull fracture.

Now this girl was foolhardy! Teen shoves bear that swatted family dog in California yard
You gotta see that clip.

When I dove in Havelock in India, there were Saltwater crocks that would swim between islands. A few of our afternoon dive spots were right in between the islands. Never saw one, but was certainly aware it was possible and on alert for them.

Not just "A Bear" a mama Brown bear with at least two cubs! That a woman you don't want to tussle with for sure. DANG.

I seriously doubt I'd have the intestinal fortitude to pull that move off.

You gotta see that clip.
Google says:The American alligator clamped his jaws around the device exerting an average of 2,980 psi and ranked fifth overall in terms of bite strength among the species tested. In comparison, animals such as hyenas, lions and tigers bite with a force around 1,000 psi

You gotta see that clip. I think I would have sacrificed any dog stupid enough to attack a sow with cubs who had the high ground at that.

The girl can consider herself lucky the cubs did not end up falling into her yard among the dogs, in which case mama bear would have gone berserk to protect them.

She wasn't "foolhardy" as much as she became a mama bear for her dogs. Maternal and paternal instincts are atavistic and often irrational. It's not the size of the girl in that fight, but the size of the fight in that girl. Would I do that for my kittens? No, they have the sense to run from a mama bear. It's like that guy who rescued his dog from a gator...

Yeah, it's easy to sit in the comfort of your Barco lounger and pass judgment when you've got no skin in the game. Your reactions in the midst of a crisis might well surprise you.

Back
Top Bottom