Allergic to Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with allergies I seem to have developed since I started diving. I started diving in July last year, and had a 7/5 full wetsuit that I wore with no problems, as well as having no problems with my 6mm booties. Unfortunately, after I started wearing a drysuit in October, I found I was breaking out in an extremely itchy rash 12-24 hours after a dive. I thought it was just the glue in the suit (the suit was freshly made when I got it, it was a 7mm neoprene suit and it smelled strongly of rubber cement and other chemical smells). The suit had latex neck & wrist seals, but I didn't have any reaction in those areas. The allergic reaction didn't seem as bad as time wore on, so I didn't think much about it. I did, however, get tested for a latex allergy, both scratch & blood tests, and they both were negative. In the meantime I went on a tropical trip where I wore a new 3mm suit. I found out after the first day of diving that I had a rash again. When I got home I was slated for patch testing which tested for many different types of allergies (see this link: http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/patch-tests.html) I immediately reacted with an itching, burning sensation to something; it made it very uncomfortable for the next 5 days! Also, small pieces of my wetsuits & drysuit were taped to my back to see my reaction to them.

Turns out the only allergy I have is to a specific group of rubber accelerators, the Thioureas. There are other types of chemicals added to rubber, but thankfully I'm only allergic to one group of them. Of my wetsuits/drysuit tests, I reacted strongly (dark red, extremely itchy welts) to my drysuit, and my 3mm wetsuit. My 7/5 suit did not cause a reaction, just as I suspected. I'm also lucky; my allergic reaction is limited to a very itchy rash which, although it can be so severe it interferes with sleep, it won't cause me an anaphylactic reaction. I can take Benadryl at night to help me sleep, use a prescription corticosteroid cream and be back to normal within a week.

I also found out that this group of chemicals is found in photocopy paper, which explains the occasional dermatitis I get when I have to deal with paperwork at the office. The dermatology clinic where I was tested gave me an information sheet that explained my allergy and the sources of exposure I could expect to encounter in my day-to-day life. There are also many sources on the web.

I'm an avid diver who intends to become a DM and eventually an instructor, so my only choice is to do what the dermatologist recommended: if I need a new suit, I'll need to get a piece of it from the manufacturer first to conduct a patch test to see if I react to it. I'll be getting a trilam drysuit eventually, when I get some $$ for one. In the meantime, if I don't sweat in my drysuit I seem to get off fairly easily with only a mild reaction. And for summer diving, my 7/5 fullsuit doesn't cause me any problems, so I'll be OK. Tropical diving will be tricky, unless I choose to wear my 7/5 all the time.

Just a note: if you think you're allergic to neoprene or any of its components, don't attempt to do a patch test on yourself. You may be more allergic than you think. Make an appointment with a dermatologist to get yourself patch tested. It was not the most comfortable test, but it's over and now I know what the problem is, and how to get around it.

Hope this helps any of you who have had similar experiences.

Thats some good info, thanks! You could just dive naked ya know? :) Lots more fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom