All these computer problems...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do a search on the board for the mosquito you will see that it and suunto's other micro sized computer have a tendancy to give inaccurate depth info. One poster relayed it was because the depth sensor gets gummed up with salt crystals. I dont have any personal experiences with this but thought it was relavant to the question at hand.

It's a crap shoot, but we also have to keep in mind, just like customer service, people rarely speak up unless there is a problem so all we hear is how bad things are. I have had a cobra for 2 years and a mosquito for about 1.5 years and they have been spot on with each other and my buddies computers (Oceanic and Aeris). I also worked part time at a shop for 2 year, sold lots of computers and never saw these errors. The only thing I ever heard people complain about was that the Oceanic DataMax Pro Pluses seemed to be ok, then BAM the bat was dead with no warning-lots of mad people on boats. Hmm, does diving with redundant computers make me quasi-DIR? :D

:wacko: I started to wonder if I did have some kind of dive computer destroying force field around me. As far as going through 9 of those Oceanic's, the company kept replacing them for free but I eventually got tired of it. I worked part time in a LDS here for awhile and we were sending those Oceanic's back left and right. I sent mine along with 2 others back at the same time and for the same reasons, the screen fade out. Let me be specific that it was the older no longer sold Data Pro which was the air only one with the rubber boot that failed on me 9 times, not the newer model, the Dat Max with the hard plastic case that is air/nitrox. My gf has that one and it has lasted a couple of years so far with no problems. As for the the theory of salt crystals screwing up the depth readings on the Suuntos, I am not sold on that. Mine was to new and I rinse it well and soak the entire reg setup in warm water for about 30 minutes after EVERY dive. I believe it was just a defective one.

Back
Top Bottom