All Octopuses are venomous...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mspear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Interesting headline and story. I'm new to scuba and am learning about marine life as well so please forgive me if this was obvious to you all, but I thought it was an interesting read.

All Octopuses Are Venomous

Wow that's interesting. I always knew the blue-rings were venemous but nothing else, especially squid. Thanks mspear.

My octopus is yellow. I should be okay, I think.

DC

Pretty interesting little article, thanks. I have read a little on the subject of venoms, and I was struck by this sentence:

The team will now work on understanding why very different types of venomous animals seem to consistently settle on the similar venom protein composition, and which physical or chemical properties make them predisposed to be useful as toxin.

I guess they are talking about tetrodotoxin, which seems to turn up in a vast array of marine venoms. Has it evolved independently in all these organisms? Or have they somehow borrowed from each other? You'd think there'd be some evolutionary advantage in using different toxins, since potential victims are probably busy evolving immunities, and, indeed, at least some of them have a kitchen sink approach, wielding a smorgasbord of toxins in their venom. Anyway, I find the natural biochemical warfare fascinating.

I was surprised at this. To my knowledge it is not true (and I have checked with a cephalopod expert on this). Of course it may depend on how you define venomous... one critter's poison is another's mild irritant. Of course what is venomous to some prey species may be totally harmless to other species and humans.

I was surprised at this. To my knowledge it is not true (and I have checked with a cephalopod expert on this). Of course it may depend on how you define venomous... one critter's poison is another's mild irritant. Of course what is venomous to some prey species may be totally harmless to other species and humans.

My first reaction was what's new but I guess it's as you say how you define venomous. They all use their beak to make a hole as well as using their radula and secrete a "substance" that breaks down muscle tissue and paralyzes I believe. That's venomous to me.

To me it depends... is it "venomous" if it doesn't affect humans? Most uses of words like venomous or toxic often relate directly to humans rather than to other species. Interesting question. I certainly don't worry about octopus that are non-toxic to humans. The clams probably worry a lot.

It is amazing the things they are finding out and all the un-knowns of the other world we live in underwater as divers. I am always in ah of the life of even the smallest of creatures under there and think of what a day to day life must be to them - so unlike ours here on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom