All-inclusive resort with decent diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 1st dive experience after OW cert was the Iberostar, Cozumel in Mar 2012. The Iberistar is the Southernmost hotel on the island and 15-30 minutes from some of the best dive sites. You won't be spending a lot of time to reach the sites. The all inclusive resort is on the beach, bungalows, 4 rooms in single story buildings and 8 rooms in 2 story buildings. Very comfortable. Wife does not dive and is looking forward to a return visit. Pier on property, up to 4 dives per day and night dies a couple times per week. Diving is through Dressel Divers and are extra. When I was checking Dressel offered a 20% discount for paying prior to arrival. Dives leaving from resort are drift dives and accompanied by a DM. We managed to secure Jay as our DM for most of our dives and he ensures that we had a good experience and considered the skills of each person in the group. You can also schedule a trip to the mainland and dive the Cenotes. We felt very safe on Cozumel. I would be cautios about travel to other parts of Mexico. Diving 4 star, Hotel 4 star, food 2 Star, went to bed before the entertainment started. Inclsive includes hotel, food, drink (fridge stocked with beer), and some activities. The dive shop has instructors if you want to get an additional certification, I opted for the AOW and they waived tuition and I used dives from the dive package. They have full equipment rental. I took my own gear.
I recommend this resort and it is very rare that I recommend anything. Ask for Jay if you go, he is one of their best DMs.

I recently stayed at the Brac Reef Resort in Cayman Brac and loved it! Meals and diving package all inclusive and fantastic service and diving. We dove with Reef Divers at the resort on the Ocean Sister. Barb and Ian make diving lots of fun and help find cool stuff.

The hub and I stayed at Sandals Emerald Bay. It is indeed a resort that features diving. But do not, in any way, shape or form, expect it to be a dive resort. We were furious when they refused to take us out on beautiful, calm, clear days. "The conditions are not good!!" They are "used" to taking out novice people to resort dive, not experienced divers. We were very disappointed to only get 4 dives in the week. There were no other operators nearby. We will never stay at another place like this again, as actually diving being the focus of our trip.

Have a look at the La Romana area of the Dominican Republic. It is on the south shore and the diving is excellent. I stayed at the Iberostar and the food was very good and the rooms were better than average. The on-site dive op is Dressel Divers. They are a well-run operation. If you don't want to use Dressel you should consider ScubaFun. They are located in the little village of Bayahibe (10 minutes from the hotel) and they will pick you up and drop you off at no extra charge. I have dove with them on two separate trips and highly recommend them.

Bob
Hi bob,
Saw your info about Iberostrar. I'm thinking of possibly going. How is the diving compared to Cozumel? What airport do you fly into? We have used Iberstar and Dressel before and are pleased with their service. Thanks for your imput.
Ron

Staying at the El Cid La Ceiba on Coz right now. Nice place with optional AI and Tres Pelicanos picks me up at the dock here. Not a bad ride to the dive sites at all and the diving has been really good. The Pelicanos DM is Servando Ramirez and he is great. Knows the reefs well and is good at finding critters. They rinse and keep my gear over night and pick me up at the El Cid dock the next morning with everything ready to go again. Ten dives so far with the shortest being 62 minutes and the longest 100 minutes. NO time limits. Dive your air and computer.

we have your perfect honeymoon suite apartment in St.Vincent. No crowds, no big resorts, amazing diving and snorkeling. Full comfortable luxury apartment with amazing ocean views just minutes from beaches, dive shops, restaurants, nightlife & more. Only $99/nt! 3-1 exchange rate, super low crime rate. Free concierge service, free wi-fi, free pick-up & drop off at airport. Lots more info. at Welcome to Harmony Hall Resorts, St. Vincent Congrats & we hope to see you in "Tahiti of the Caribbean" - St.Vincent.

Welcome to the board. Before you do it too many more times, I have to comment that posting what sounds too much like an ad on any thread where it seems remotely related will tend to leave a bad impression with people - if not being against the rules of the board. (Or in this case not related, as the OP asked for an AI...)

Also, if you want to promote your resort to divers, you'd be better served if your "Diving and Snorkeling" page didn't start by dissing scuba diving and actually gave some real useful information about diving, rather than just way too many washed out pictures. And then maybe get a diver to review your copy.

(For the record, I like St Vincent and have been there a number of times.)

I've been to Jamaica six times ( all SuperClubs resorts ) and they aren't dive resorts by any stretch of the imagination but I have had some really good diving.

I have a suggestion. Part joke and part serious.... have you considered BlackBeard Cruises? It's a totally different direction but if you both love diving it might be a good fit. You'll certainly know if she's a keeper or not. :)

Welcome to the board. Before you do it too many more times, I have to comment that posting what sounds too much like an ad on any thread where it seems remotely related will tend to leave a bad impression with people - if not being against the rules of the board. (Or in this case not related, as the OP asked for an AI...)

Also, if you want to promote your resort to divers, you'd be better served if your "Diving and Snorkeling" page didn't start by dissing scuba diving and actually gave some real useful information about diving, rather than just way too many washed out pictures. And then maybe get a diver to review your copy.

(For the record, I like St Vincent and have been there a number of times.)

Damselfish: After checking out their "site" Bill Tewes has nothing to worry about. Maybe he could sell them some real scuba photos.

Harmonyhallresorts: Welcome to the scuba board! As a commercial member soliciting scuba divers, a scuba package/rate schedule/dive site listing should be your minimum website information. Additionally helpful: Partnerships (if any) with dive ops, types of boats, DMs, any special facilities for divers, unique dive sites or services provided by your operations etc.

Hi bob,
Saw your info about Iberostrar. I'm thinking of possibly going. How is the diving compared to Cozumel? What airport do you fly into? We have used Iberstar and Dressel before and are pleased with their service. Thanks for your imput.
Ron

Hi Ron,

We flew into Punta Cana and were shuttled to La Romana (1.5 hour ride). Some airlines are flying directly into La Romana now and they have finally completed a new highway that shortens the drive from Punta Cana considerably (or so I am told).

The diving is really good...the visibility was around 80-120 feet or so on every dive. There is little to no current so it's not drift diving! Lots of maring life including nurse sharks and green morays (tons of octopus opn night dives). I only say one sea turtle on my trip (saw turtles on every dive in Coz).

I would say the diving is a step down from Cozumel but still really good. We used ScubaFun as our dive operator and they were excellent...large roomy boat and great DMs.

"PM" me if I can offer any more information.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom