All inclusive Dive Resort in Cozumel for family???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fredi

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Me and my family plan a one week stay in Cozemul .I dive but not my two teenage daughters and their mum.So,I'm looking for a all inclusive dive resort with amenities to keep them occupy and meantime i can do my diving.We prefer a decent resort nearby the town,.Anyone with any recommendation is much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

What is your budget? If price is not a factor then IMHO Presidente Intercontinental is the obvious choice.

As an all inclusive, I have enjoyed that property. I stay there when I take the family. The food was good - much better than the Reef Club. The problem as defined in your post was that you wanted close to town. I stay at Iberostar because when i pay for 4-5 people to go I like to get as good a deal on accomodations as I can. I have used Funjet on several occasions and have been able to get good pricing. The money I saved more than paid for any taxi rides into town. When we last stayed a week there we went into town 4 times by taxi and rented a jeep for a day and drove all around the island.

The nice beach at the Iberostar as well as the good service made a good impression on my wife. As such we will be going back in March for another week. When it is just a guy trip, we stay somewhere less expensive because we spend little time at the hotel.

dnhill

In order of what I believe is least to most expensive...
Reef Club, Occidental Allegro, Iberostar, Occidental Grand and El Presidente. I don't think any one would be a bad choice. EP is closest to town...Iberostar farthest. I have stayed at the Reef and the Iberostar....IB is much nicer. Read the reviews on Travelnotes http://www.travelnotes.cc/ a good source of information.

Fredi once bubbled...
Me and my family plan a one week stay in Cozemul .I dive but not my two teenage daughters and their mum.So,I'm looking for a all inclusive dive resort with amenities to keep them occupy and meantime i can do my diving.We prefer a decent resort nearby the town,.Anyone with any recommendation is much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

If by resort you mean a full service hotel with large grounds and planned activies, then close to town is a problem. There are such places on Cozumel, but the Presidente is the closest to town, and it's quite far, as distances on the island go.

Fredi specifically stated "all-inclusive" and last I checked, Presidente is not all inclusive, it's very expensive and it's not close to town.

Fredi you're going to run into a problem if you're wanting an all-inclusive close to town. The only one that falls into this category is Brisas/Reefscape/Magic Sunset/Cozumel Resort. It's a decent, moderately priced hotel that's close enough to walk to town, great set-up for divers, fairly good food, nice beach club, HUGE pool and fairly good snorkeling/shore diving. They have an entertainment staff there but my guess would be that your 2 teens will have fun flirting with the boys and laying on the beach, so no problem there. Shopping is within walking distance and any dive shop will pick you up from their dock. The food is okay--I've only had breakfast and lunch there but heard the dinners aren't that great, but the small difference in price between the European plan and the AI makes it worth it just for 2 meals a day/drinks. Then you can still afford to eat dinner in town!

Other options might be Fiesta Americana--not close to town but convenient for divers, the all-inclusive resorts north of town like El Cozumeleno, or a non all-inclusive hotel like Plaza las Glorias. Then there are all the AI's far south of town as the others have mentioned. Do a search on the board, read the reviews then get back to us with some specific questions. Good luck! :)

Fredi

The Presidente is not all inclusive. Also if your family is going they will probably want a good beach at the resort. The resorts are all located on the western or leeward side of the island. Many of the resorts are located on a rocky coastline which is suitable for snorkeling but not wading or easy swimming. The larger resorts tend to have better entertainment. Scuba Club is great for divers but probably boring for non divers. Allegro may be best for you. It is aways to town but there is enough to keep family entertained. It is close to the best dive spots and has a dive shop on premises.

As a side note the taxi divers are known locally for their intransigent attitudes. They have a strong union which they seem to fear and will not often bargain. Consider renting a car when you want to travel. The trip around the island is easy and fun. You can stop at ruins, beaches with impressive aqua blue surf etc. Should cost around sixty dollars per day for jeep or VW.

Have Fun

I just stayed at the reef club for my first trip to Cozumel in November. Sand Dollar Sports is a great dive shop RIGHT ON THE PROPERTY and the dock is OUT THEIR BACK DOOR. You get a locker to keep your gear for the week, and the all the staff is cool. Ask for Gerry (DM).

We all went with our girlfriends. None dive. They had fun on the beach (right out our doors) and at the swim up bar (3 pools). They took exercise classes, went to the gym, snorkeled, etc.

If you go out on the morning boat, your back by 1pm to spend the day w/ your family.

Rent a car or taxi into town. Though there is not much in town besides shopping and some clubs. You could visit the ruins or archaeological sites. We had too much fun at the resort and went into town just a few times.

The place is built on diving and cruise ship shoppers/divers.

Have fun!

The El Cozumeleno is a nice all inclusive. I have stayed there twice and enjoyed the place. Nice amenities, swim up pool bar, poolside snack bar, putt putt golf course, good food and very friendly staff. Located north of town you will want a rental car/scooter/cab to shuttle into town (about a $5 trip each way via cab). Being up North, divers will have to hop a cab to meet up with their dive boats. All rooms have ocean & pool view. On-site dive shop with free in-pool try scuba lessons daily.

Brisas (or whatever they are currently calling the place this week) is probably the best option for both price and being close to town. They may change the name often but the hotel is nice and not fly by night. I don't believe any of the other resorts with an all inclusive option are actually within easy walking distance to town. For divers, most dive operators will pick up and drop off at the Brisas doc. While all inclusive can be convenient, when staying at Brisas you are so close to town that I'd seriously consider opting out of all inclusive and just enjoying the fine and affordable resturants in town.

Hi there,

I have just returned from the Allegro resort, it is not near town and a cab ride will cost you $20 each way.

However- the resort is excellent for families- lots of activities included in the price (snorkelling, windsurfing, sailing, gym, tennis, basketball) and activities like games and group volley ball and a nice beach - really good for non-divers. The food was good- nice Buffets, snack bar and two very nice a la carte restuarants. Drinks were good and they have a pool bar, sports bar and piano bar. The sprots bar is suitable for families- lots of games and they have activities there and shows too.
There is a dive shop on site which I do not recommend- but most dive shops will pick you up from the dock out back anyway.

The resort would be perfect for families and there were lots of other teenagers there too, so the girls would not get lonely.

happy holidays

Back
Top Bottom