All in one gear maintenance tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave all the important maintenance to professionals (I don't feel confident enough to perform regs check myself). But sometimes there is "easy" maintenance to be done on the spot by the divers themselves, let me say like tightening a nut on a reg or similar. What sort of tools are useful?

I have found this all in one tools on the aliexpress
US $8.14 24% di SCONTO|13 In 1 calda Scuba Diving O Ring Pick Cacciavite Multi Strumento Chiave Per La Riparazione di Regolazione Diver Diving Regolatori strumenti|Piscina e accessori| - AliExpress

There are 3 versions which one would you suggest?
Thanks
Of those 3 I would take the first one, it’s not perfect but the wrench’s can be handy at times, I have a few of these sort of tools in the shop, they usually have the hex (Allen) keys out only because they are big and easy to spot.

I am watching some videos by Alec Peirce

He shows how to replace the tank o-ring WITHOUT any pick

The he shows how to replace a hose o-ring. He recommends to use only a brass o-ring pick, only BRASS. Picks of any other material can potentially scratch the metal (this is what he says)

In the same video he uses an o-ring installer (minute 10 of the video)

Regulators are made out of brass which is soft metal. Steel picks are harder than the metal and can damage the o-ring land (groove it sits in)...if the land is scratched it could cause a leak, Therefore the recommendation is to use brass picks because they are typically not harder than the material the reg is made from...though if one is not careful/gentle they can still cause damage by scratching the sealing surfaces. Plastic picks are also a good choice, but again, if used incorrectly and with too much force one can still cause damage.

It is a common hack to blow the o-ring out of the face of a tank valve for a yoke regulator...in fact if if you install a yoke regulator and leave it a bit loose, the o-ring will extrude from the pressure and pop out.

The o-ring installer is common referred to as o-ring bullets due to their shape. They are used to protect the o-ring from the sharp edges of the threads they must pass over to prevent damage to the o-ring that might compromise its seal. There is also a bullet used to install on the o-ring on the piston shaft of piston type regs as the knife edge of the piston sealing surface can cut the o-ring when installing it.

Are o-ring bullets required? no, but they are relatively inexpensive, facilitate the work, and protect the material from being compromised.

-Z

Most if not all of the all-in-one tools suck and are frustrating to use when you need them most. An adjustable wrench, pliers, knife, set of allen keys, and combo screwdriver will do you much better. Plus maybe the cheap flat valve tool from Piranha. You can get a cheap adjustable wrench, or a nicer one with thin jaws. The little pouched scuba tool kits are probably okay as well but maybe overpriced for the quality of tools in them.

Don't forget spare orings, silicone grease, zip ties, tape, and a marker.

I leave all the important maintenance to professionals (I don't feel confident enough to perform regs check myself). But sometimes there is "easy" maintenance to be done on the spot by the divers themselves, let me say like tightening a nut on a reg or similar. What sort of tools are useful?

I have found this all in one tools on the aliexpress
US $8.14 24% di SCONTO|13 In 1 calda Scuba Diving O Ring Pick Cacciavite Multi Strumento Chiave Per La Riparazione di Regolazione Diver Diving Regolatori strumenti|Piscina e accessori| - AliExpress

There are 3 versions which one would you suggest?
Thanks
Neither. Those are junk. Cheap metal, poor tolerance on the wrenches, etc.

Two thin adjustable wrenches are danged handy for changing out hoses. I couldn’t find them locally. Spent $25 each on Amazon. Worth every penny.

If you go for a thin adjustable wrench, you might consider one Knipex pliers wrench, though they run $50. They are self-locking, so your force at turning is what is clamping them around the nut, times ten. As the image suggests, the top adjustable wrench is at least twice as heavy and is less useful.

I had come to loathe the fixed wrenches in my multitools. Also hose nuts seem inconsistent in size, so even good fixed wrenches seem less useful.

One of a kind Knipex Pliers Wrench, the only professional adjustable wrench

image.jpeg

I have this Deluxe Divers Toolkit. I have it in a thick ziploc type bag that diving gloves/socks came in, since the tools could rust. I've had it for many years, in my dive bag all the time, used infrequently, and they're still looking perfect.

It was a lot cheaper when I bought it, but the price might vary by the vendor.

Trident Deluxe Divers Toolkit | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Yep knipex makes GREAT stuff. Channellock makes nice thin jaw adjustable wrenches. Bondhus hex wrenches are good and reasonably priced for made-in-usa tools.

Stainless Leatherman Wave is worth considering too, especially if you get the extra driver bits for it.

Save your money and don't buy any junky scuba multitool. Here is what I suggest for a starter kit:

6" adjustable crescent wrench
Set of alan wrenches
Gerber Multi-tool (or similar leatherman)
Standard scuba o-ring assortment

Crescent 6" Adjustable Black Oxide Wrench - Carded - AT26VS - - Amazon.com
EKLIND 10111 Hex-L Key allen wrench - 11pc set SAE Inch Sizes .050-1/4 Short series - - Amazon.com
Gerber MP600 Multi-Plier, Needle Nose, Stainless [07530] - Gerber Multitool - Amazon.com
Amazon.com : Innovative Scuba Concepts Save a Dive O Ring Kit 1 Pieces, RB828 : Sports & Outdoors

That will take care of most issues you will have on a dive excursion.

If you want to really take care of business put together something like this:

Save a Dive Kit.jpg

Save a Dive Kit
1 Pelican 1120 Case {7" x 5"x 3.5")
2 Gerber MultiTool with Pliers
3 Small MultiTools with Sissors
4 Knipex 5" adjustable wrench
5 Cresent Wrench 6"
6 Small Philips/Flat screwdriver
7 Dental picks for Oring removal
8 Hex wench set (7 pcs)
9 Electrical Tape (waterproof)
10 Velcro strips (6 pcs)
11 Bungie cord (1/8" 6ft)
12 Silver Sharpie
13 Oring Kits (2 w/various)
14 Plugs for 1st Stages (lp/hp)
15 O2 Lube
16 Silicone Lube
17 Mineral Oil (small vial)
18 USA Quarter (shearwater battery cap)
19 IP Guage
20 LP Air Nozzle
21 QC6 Connector (offboard gas)
22 SPG 1" button guage
23 DIN Inserts (x2)
24 SPG spools (x2)
25 Overpressure valve
26 Super Glue
27 Double Ender clip 3"
28 Quick Links & S-Biner clips
29 Small Zip Ties (x20)
30 Q-Tips

If you go for a thin adjustable wrench, you might consider one Knipex pliers wrench, though they run $50. They are self-locking, so your force at turning is what is clamping them around the nut, times ten. As the image suggests, the top adjustable wrench is at least twice as heavy and is less useful.

I had come to loathe the fixed wrenches in my multitools. Also hose nuts seem inconsistent in size, so even good fixed wrenches seem less useful.

One of a kind Knipex Pliers Wrench, the only professional adjustable wrench

View attachment 633898

I have the 5" Knipex in my dive kit. It's tiny and just the right size for most scuba gear. I'd never heard of the brand until I saw an electrician working on my house using them. I think I had a tool-gasm when I saw it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom